Installing Linux in my college computers. Help this nooby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I somehow convinced the people to install linux on the comps. I tried to install Ubuntu 6.06 but couldn't. It formatted the hard drive but then everything is a little confusing. I had installed it at home too and was stuck at the same step but then managed somehow. Now they want Fedora core on their machines. I will be installing FC5 which i already have. I am trying to prove a point for linux. Tell me what all homework should i do before doing this on monday.

The major problem i will face is configuring the internet connections. nobody seems to know which connection it is. It is definitily not BSNL as i cant check my account usage from there. It is broadband. Thats all i know. What should i do?

Last edited:

vinutux

Broken In
nobody help u as telling such a small info

chekout ubuntu forums or fedora forums

configur ISP is very simpe go 2 menu in system -> networking

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
baccilus said:
I somehow convinced the people to install linux on the comps. I tried to install Ubuntu 6.06 but couldn't. It formatted the hard drive but then everything is a little confusing. I had installed it at home too and was stuck at the same step but then managed somehow. Now they want Fedora core on their machines. I will be installing FC5 which i already have. I am trying to prove a point for linux. Tell me what all homework should i do before doing this on monday.

The major problem i will face is configuring the internet connections. nobody seems to know which connection it is. It is definitily not BSNL as i cant check my account usage from there. It is broadband. Thats all i know. What should i do?
well ask your network admin he will tell u then post here whats type of connection u have.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
The thing is there is no one who knows anything(about comps) there! Can i find all the required information from the windows computers by IPconfig command and then apply that to linux?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
That just isnt possible. If they pay for the broadband, they would atleast know the provider! Oh C'mon, lab admins arent SO dumb to be so dumb. But yes, I figure you could do something by learning what net connection it is through Windows.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
They pay but have no knowledge of comps. The web guys just configure for windows and leave.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
call up the so called *web guys* and ask what setup they use

like what technogoly it is based on ex cable,dsl,leased line etc

then post back.

mediator

Technomancer
QwertyManiac said:
^^
That just isnt possible. If they pay for the broadband, they would atleast know the provider! Oh C'mon, lab admins arent SO dumb to be so dumb. But yes, I figure you could do something by learning what net connection it is through Windows.
Oh yea, most of em are dumbo. All colleges aren't like IITs. In my college, there was an admin who was so pissed of that Grub loads into Linux by default and not into windows. Somehow he came to know that I use Linux daily as my primary OS and contacted me. I solved the problem for some 20 PCs and he didn't even pay me or give some treat. He was sooo happy after that and his smile was like a 5 yr old who got a big chocolate that can only be eaten by 2 people together.

@bacilus : Both Ubuntu and Fedora are easy to install, but u have to be carefull at the partitioning stage.

Configuring network is very easy. Routers have internel IP like 192.168.1.1. So u can configure next PC with static IP like 192.168.1.2 and next like 192.168.1.3 and so on. Since its a class C address, it will have mask 255.255.255.0. Neways, yea u can use the info available from ipconfig for configuring Linux.

Next configure DNS , u can enter DNS servers available with ISP or u can enter public free DNS servers. U can find plenty of them on net and server much better than those available with ISP. I use public DNS instead those heavily loaded and queried ISP servers which slow down as ISP increases its customers.

These are the things u shud remember and should be configure. So best of luck show em how Linux simply rulezzzz. Show em Fedora 6 as Ubuntu will need downloading/installing heavily again n again for all computers. :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
mediator said:
Oh yea, most of em are dumbo. All colleges aren't like IITs. In my college, there was an admin who was so pissed of that Grub loads into Linux by default and not into windows. Somehow he came to know that I use Linux daily as my primary OS and contacted me. I solved the problem for some 20 PCs and he didn't even pay me or give some treat. He was sooo happy after that and his smile was like a 5 yr old who got a big chocolate that can only be eaten by 2 people together.
That is a different thing, I wanted to point out that even the lamest of all admins would know his terrain. Or atleast the principal for god's sake!

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Yuo prakash is right. I am in the microbiology dept. Ipconfig command doesn't work . Any other way i can learn about gateway address etc. Are these the only things i will need to start net on the comps?

mediator

Technomancer
To know gateway address, the simplest thing is to use "tracert" command on windows or "traceroute" on Linux!

tracert yahoo.com
The first entry will show u ur IP.
2nd entry will show u ur gateway adress
In between entries will show the intermediate routers IP's
Last IP will be the IP of Yahoo.com

Also u can use
ipconfig/all
to find out all the info!

And yea thats all u need to know! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom