installing linux and all related stuff help ! plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

visvo

Journeyman
hi ! i am having elx linux, suse with me and i had a athlon xp1800+ 256mb ram,40gb hdd with 3 partition one has 98, other has XP in it i want linux to install i tried utilites from elxlinux to make linux partation on my e: but failed to do so .. plz anybody help me .. i m novice in linux field in fact i know nothing in liunx help !!!!!!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
keep 1 partition free.... use bootIT NG.... format that partition. let it remain as free space... select auto partition while installing linux and select the option to install on free space...

otherwise in some distros like knoppix.. u got to make the partitions b4 hand

so while u r in boot it ng.... and suppose u have 6 gb of space which u have freed by deleting 1 partition...
as u said that u have 256 mb ram... make a linux SWAP partition(82 or 81) of 512 mb ram.. as a thumb rule the swap partition is always the double of ur ram...

convert the rest of the free space into ext3.. or linux native(82 or 81)

and then u can safely install...

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
thnx anand ..but tell me where shall i find booIT NG ? do u know any site from where i can download it if yes then plz do tell me.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Dont worry, you dont really have to use BootIT .... just create two free partitions one main and other swap using any windows based partition manager like fdisk... and while installing your distro... you can select your partitions that you wanna format...

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
I think using fdisk may be a bit confusing for him.
m8 u can try partition magic it is easy to use.
other info is given by anand ;)

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

SHell

Broken In
Use partition magic .it will help u to install linux.
do create a swap partition as it will enhance ur
comp performance. install partion magic in our
windows xp(if thats ur active partition) and take care about ur
master boot record, otherwise that partion will
become inaccesible

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
gr8 help.. thanx frenz but where shall i find partition magic and whether its a demo or full version and if its demo then will it handle my all problems? ..sorry but i m very new to linux things and i dont want to take any chance to lose my hdd or my windows stuff plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom