installing Fedora core 3 from harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaysquare

Journeyman
can anyone please tell me how to install fedora core 3 without burning ISO's.

There was a topic already posted but the replies were not meaningful.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
this might also be useful to you:
*www.eglug.org/node/967

And did you read this:
*thinkdigit.com/howto.html

hafees

In the zone
i think u need to burn atleast one CD coz there is no boot floppy support in FC3. Even then if u've a USB stick and the computer can be booted from it then u can give a try. Otherwise try this.

Just burn the first CD.
Boot from the CD
then at the prompt (it will ask for which type of installation - expert ,standard etc). type
linux askmethod

then u can set the path to the ISOs. (store the I
SOs to a FAT 32 partition)

ur primary master hard disk will be hdax (x denotes the partition - eg: hda1)
then give the directory (/linux) if u ve stored it in that directory.

OP
K

kaysquare

Journeyman
GNUrag and Hafees,

thanks a lot

@GNUrag

The first link looks like it does the trick for me. but the howto on digit website doesnt as fedora first cd doesnt have a dosutils folder.

I didnt check the rescue cd yet. probably it might be there and i missed it.

And I tried installing mandrake with bootloader on the first sector of boot partition so that i can boot both oses with NTLOADER but mandrake doesnt allow me to configure bootloader while installing. i tried standard and expert modes. am i missing anything??

awaiting your reply

kaysquare

OP
K

kaysquare

Journeyman
I found out a way to install fedora core 3 from harddisk.

It is the same as the how to on thinkdigit.com website. get dosutils folder from redhat 9 filder and replace vmlinuz and initrd.img in autoboot folder with the same files in ur fedora forst cd isolinux folder.

then boot into dos mode, go to dosutils folder and say AUTOBOOT!!!

hope this helps ppl missing the dosutils folder on fedora

phantom4ever

Right off the assembly line
Hard disk installation of FC3

Hi,
I have installed FC3 by hard disk method and it worked fine for three times and no problem. My system runs under WinXp.

Here is what i did

FC3 contains four *.iso files.
FC3-i386-disc1.iso,FC3-i386-disc2.iso,FC3-i386-disc3.iso,FC3-i386-disc4.iso

I used WinRAR to extract boot.iso file from the FC3-i386-disc1.iso (Using WinRAR u can browse the *.iso files just like normal zip files). The boot.iso is located under the images folder, inside the FC3-i386-disc1.iso.

I used Nero to burn the boot.iso file to the CD. This boot.iso was around 5-6 MB and when used with Nero, it created a fc3 boot CD. This Cd is somthing like a boot floppy for RH9. It starts automatically when u
start the computer.

I copied all the four FC3 isos to a windows partition named D:/tmp/hdimage/fc3.
The equivalent linux file path is /dev/hda3/tmp/hdimage/fc3.

((Note: if fc3 is not picking up ur path, try this tmp/hdimage/fc3, ie, putting *.iso files inside /tmp/hdimage/fc3.I had some problems with this, i dont know the reason. when i put 4 iso files in D:/ drive, fc3 could not pick up the files, when i put this one under D:/tmp/hdimage/fc3 it picked up. I think /tmp/hdimage was the default path for searching for iso files in FC3. Try with different paths, it will pickup)

i restarted the computer with the help of FC3 boot CD, the installation started.
It asked the installation method, i chose hard disk,
it asked for the path, i browsed and gave the selected the path /dev/hda3 and entered the path as

/tmp/hdimage/fc3

(note: if anything fails in this part, try /fc3 alone)

it searched for some seconds and the installation proceeded normally, in GUI mode.
After this it asked normal boot questions, and then the installation started.
It never asked me to insert CD #2 or #3 or #4.

Installation completed normally by 45 minutes. (depends upon the packages we select)

Thats it///

Creation of Boot CD was a problem for me, since i dont had the writer, i took the file and burnt the CD with my friends writer. Everything else worked perfectly (thrice)

And creation of this Boot CD is advisable, since we can do hard disk & network installation of FC3 on any computer using this Boot CD.

OP
K

kaysquare

Journeyman
yes. the fedora core hard disk install method i tried supports GUI.

I didnt even create the boot floppy. I used my win 98 Cd to boot into dos mode. Floppies are unreliable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom