Installed XP,grub gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
well i installed xp again as i need it for to connect my mobile to pc. linux does not support it. so now my GRUB is gone. can i use the ubuntu inbuilt boot looder to load windows??
i dont want the two boot loaders.
also i found out this *www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/grubinstall/

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Grub cannot boot windows. Windows needs ntldr. Grub can only act as chainloader for windows and hand over the booting process to ntldr then.
gary4gar said:
well i installed xp again as i need it for to connect my mobile to pc. linux does not support it.
Which mobile? Doesn't support, in which sense?
gary4gar said:
so now my GRUB is gone. can i use the ubuntu inbuilt boot looder to load windows??
i dont want the two boot loaders.
also i found out this *www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/grubinstall/
This is anyways grub so it will act as a chainloader only.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i have a mobile nokia 6020 which i want to connect through datacable. i have asked this question mailing lists also but did'nt get a single reply.

Dhaval

Broken In
If you want to dual boot with linux and windows, always install windows first and then linux. This causes no problem. I have done this many times.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gary4gar said:
i have a mobile nokia 6020 which i want to connect through datacable. i have asked this question mailing lists also but did'nt get a single reply.
Have you tried connecting the USB cable and seen the output of lsusb?

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Installing grub after windows overwrites it, is a very very common problem. I haven't tried it, but there are several solutions for this: from what a i remember you can simpppply use the live cd to install grub again.
Search on ubuntu forums, you should get severrral matches

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@chess
i khow that, thanx for ur concern. i was just asking that instead of two bootloader can i use grub.

@mehul
well i tried it several times. my cell got detected as harp tecnologies.stuck at that point.

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Sare marjon ki ek dawa... SGD or Super Grub Disk . Get ISO image from this link :

*adrian15.raulete.net/grub/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=95

or Floppy from

*freshmeat.net/redir/supergrub/66544/url_bz2/tiki-list_file_gallery.php

There is one for generic USB device too

*freshmeat.net/redir/supergrub/62945/url_tgz/tiki-download_file.php

Fixing Grub blues doesnt get any simpler than this. F&#k your MBR, GRUB to your heart's content and then boot up with this CD/ Floppy. Dont have to bother about any CLI. Complete menu driven wizard like interface can automaticaly recover your GRUB, LILO and even Windows MBR. You can even load an installed OS directly without the rebooting. I have used it a number of times recently while experimenting with Xandros, FC5, Suse and Ubuntu.
Have Fun.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom