Installed Ubuntu.Now What????

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title reads
I finally installed ubuntu (using 10GB of HDD)
I have a few queries:
Now what should I do to use it to the max? (Bit unclear, I know)
I'm unable to install Mac4Lin (cant figure out head or tail)
What media players are suitable in Ubuntu? (To play any freakin file under the sun, with good GUI :))
How to launch Compiz Fusion?
What line should I change in GRUB to make XP my first option while booting? (I dont know where GRUB is located either)
All help will be deeply appreciated :)

Rahim

Married!
Grub is located in /boot/grub/ folder and the OS list is in menu.lst file in that folder. As for the Windows being the default, you have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
Just open a Terminal (Konsole if on KDE) and enter the following commands
It is wise to backup. Remember when using sudo it will ask for YOUR password. We use sudo to gain root power(admin-like) to change system files.
Code:
sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bkup
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
It will ask YOUR password and enter it. Now the menu.lst will open in Gedit(Notepad-like) and navigate to ##default num and change the default value from 0 to anyone you want. Remember the counting begins from 0 and not 1 :D .
So if your Windows is in the 5th line then change default to 4.
Further you can change the timeout before an OS is booted. Check towards timeout and change it to say, 10 to make it boot in 10 seconds.

Media Player is a personal choice and you will be spoilt for choice :D In GNOME ,Banshee and Exaile will be fine and in KDE, Amarok just rocks!!! Ubuntu doesnt come tih codecs due to patent issues. So you have to download GStreamer codecs (K-Media like).

Just open Appereances from Preferences menu and under Effects tab and make the choice. For advanced conf download ccsm (Conpiz Settings manager)

And dont forget to see the sticky of FAQs and time will teach you everything.
[Readme] These topics have been covered
Oh baba haath dard ho gaya :D

Last edited:

CadCrazy

in search of myself
As the title reads
I finally installed ubuntu (using 10GB of HDD)
I have a few queries:
Now what should I do to use it to the max? (Bit unclear, I know)
I'm unable to install Mac4Lin (cant figure out head or tail)
What media players are suitable in Ubuntu? (To play any freakin file under the sun, with good GUI :))
How to launch Compiz Fusion?
What line should I change in GRUB to make XP my first option while booting? (I dont know where GRUB is located either)
All help will be deeply appreciated :)

What error you are getting while installing mac4lin. first of all extract mac4lin.tar.gz archive and then browse to gtk metacity folder and there you'll find four theme files.Apply anyone of them.

As far as media player is concerned vlc is my fav.Open terminal/Konsole and type following to install vlc

sudo apt-get install vlc

or click here to install vlc

To enable compiz effects direct rendering must be enabled.To check this type

glxinfo | grep rendering

For this graphics driver must be installed.If you have intel onboard graphics then there's no problem but in case of dedicated nvidia/ati card you must enable restricted driver to get compiz working. To get basic compiz effects enable it from system menu

system -> preferences -> visual effects -> choose normal or extra.

To further tweak compiz setting install compizconfig-settings-manager package. type in terminal

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

or click here to install compizconfig-settings-manager

Last edited:
OP
thewisecrab
Thnk You all
I had a little prob with the terminal (Wont let me type the admin password)
So I installed the required soft (Banshee, Exaile, VLC) through the package Manager. :)

Thank you CadCrazy for the nVidia link for compiz
Its up and running now :)

As far as Mac4lin is concerned, it was just a misinterpretration of commands due to which I confused myself
Only prob is that the safari theme works only for FF 2.0.0.16 and not 3.0 :(
Thank you all :)

PS, Any answers to my first question? :D

CadCrazy

in search of myself
I had a little prob with the terminal (Wont let me type the admin password)
So I installed the required soft (Banshee, Exaile, VLC) through the package Manager.

Hehe this is not prob with your terminal. You can't see password when you type it in terminal, weird isn't it . Simply press enter after you type the password.

OP
thewisecrab
oh i see
Thanks for clearing that up
Now another prob:
When ubuntu first accessed my HDD partitions (NTFS), i did not pay attention to the pop up and just clicked on "next"
Now, it says "Unable to mount partition"
What setting should I look into to access it?
PS:Mac4Lin is also functioning now :)
But I'm unable to download AWN dock :(

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Here is the offline method to install awn dock.Download this file. Its a tar.gz archive. Extract it and copy extracted awn_hardy folder to your home ( Places -> Home Folder). Now open terminal and type following

cd awn_hardy
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

OP
thewisecrab
Thank you CadCrazy. :)
Will Ubuntu run on my friend's PC with 256 MB ram?
Or will it lag?
a few eye candies ON will be a bonus :wink:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't know why you people like making things difficult for yourself. For mac4lin, just add this repository and use synaptic to install all the components.
deb *ppa.launchpad.net/udienz/ubuntu hardy main

OP
thewisecrab
Dude
Its already installed :wink:
Now my query is that will it run on 256 MB Ram with some fx on compiz fusion?
Its my friend's PC :)

CadCrazy

in search of myself
I don't know why you people like making things difficult for yourself. For mac4lin, just add this repository and use synaptic to install all the components.

Pehle kahan soo raha tha :D

No ubuntu sucks big time on 256 mb ram

Pehle kahan soo raha tha :D

Last edited:
OP
thewisecrab
Why double post :D?
Any thanks for that RAM update
Now,What more can I do with Ubuntu?
It works like makhan on my 7600 and with 2GB RAM :wink:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Your that NTFS problem is solved ??

Otherwise install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config by typing
Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfs-config

You will get Accessories -> System Tools --> NTFS Configuration Tool
After opening it, it will detect all of your NTFS partitions. Check all, it will automatically edit your fstab file so that all drives get mounted when u boot into Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom