installation tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shock: until now I have used windows mainly and a little bit of linux on my college computer .But I need to install it at my home PC too moreober I need to learn how to install because not everygody gets lucky @ linux installation If anyone is going to install LINUX at his home PC then please call me . I am at MUMBAI

Satissh S

Youngling
Installation is pretty simple, buddy with all the graphical installers. Have you ever installed Win98?? It's much easier than that. Get out of the mindset that GNU\Linux installation is tough. It isn't. Tell me what linux distro version are you gonna install. Also your hardware like Proccy, Mobo, Gfx cards, PCI Soundcards if you have them.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hi hellomotto
Many of us here use linux as our primary OS. The installation of most distros is pretty straightforward and simple if you've installed windows b4. There are also a lot of documents you can find online that can help you with this.

digen

Youngling
Things could be more easier for us & you if you told us which distro your planning in installing.

praka123

left this forum longback
@hellomotto:
Yaar installing Linux is not a big issue now a days.
4 or 5 years back U can say a little tough.So give a try.have some idea about partitioning in Linux and numbering system.for eg IDE hdd is hda or hdb etc for SATA/SCSI disks it will be sda,sdb..etc depending on primary or secondary hdd it'll be.select manual partining during install.make a swap partn if possible double the size of ur installed RAM memory(perhaps 2.6 kernels dont want that).make a /boot partn of 95MB.a "/" partn of 6GB depends on ur selection of packages.So best of LUX.
heres a small guide on FC4 installation:
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc4.html#install

OP
H

hellomotto

Banned
:lol: thanks everyone buddy, yes I know how to install windows . but I havent tried linux . But after getting these respones I am much more confident . thanks. :idea:

OP
H

hellomotto

Banned
to@digen
I will install 5 CD SuSe 10 that I got from another megazine this month .I heard Suse 9.3 was very good so I think 10 will also be the same .

Actually few months back one of my friend installed linux , I saw it some part , but after finishing there was no graphics ,and some other probs were there .

kato

Karthiksn
Okay someone asking about Linux installation so wanted to ask my Friend installed FC4 and configured the grub installation during the setup and used two other CDs of FC4 as it demanded but after rebooting he got some error of unknown operating system or something I will check and tell what exactly the error is. If anybody can make out what went wrong help me and my friend as I am also going to install it next month

kato

Karthiksn
See FC4 has four CDs so when installing it said you will require 2nd and 3rd CD so keep them ready so I was talking about that.

Also I noticed something unusual. I have FC4 ISO which were given with Digit but it showed FAIL during the TEST before the Installation so i downloaded a new ISO for my friend but somehow that also shows FAIL(i hadnt checked it earlier but i checked now). So tell me does it matter if it passes or fails as I didnt do anything in burning the ISO's as other ISO's PASS the test. It seems to be problem only with first CD could it be the fault of first CD

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@kato: is the installation process successful?

if yes, try reinstalling grub using the first installation cd. follow the steps.

popin the cd, and when the prompt appears type linux rescue

When the boot process finishes, it will land you on the rescue prompt. type grub-install /dev/hda {Provided hda is your disk}

kato

Karthiksn
I am not very sure if the installation is successful as when it says in the end of installation to reboot after that my friend got the error. As you say it might the grub loader which is causing the prob but i am not sure. Yes one more thing is there any site where we can download video tutorial for installing FC4 and Ubuntu. I remember a guy posting a torrent but i want a site(for night download). Also it should be explaining installing FC4 and Ubuntu on a PC with Windows as other OS if not then also its okay

kato

Karthiksn
Oh thanks DW thanks you very much they are small so i guess no need for night download.Thanks again and yeah if the First CD of FC4 fails in the test does it mean the CD is faulty

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
If you have downloaded iso and burned, Have you checked for sha1sum on the website matched the one in the cd ?

try running

sha1sum <isofilename>

Check this Installation Instructions for how to verify sha1sums. Don't trust Fedora's mediacheck too much.There is a bug in the kernel which causes the media check to say some CDs are bad when they are not, on some systems.

Alternatively you can try passing the following arguement at the installation prompt for a successful mediacheck.

linux ide=nodma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom