Not open for further replies.

salils

Journeyman
I've fedora core 6 iso files,they are 6 discs
now i want to install it
so i burned up them to cd
then I inserted first CD but there opened a DOS system
now what to do???
plz tell me full procedure to install it..........

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Before giving the procedure, please let me know your HDD size and partitions in it if any. Also let me know, whether you are dual booting with Windows or installing Linux alone? Only when I know these answers, I would be able to suggest regarding installation.

OP
S

salils

Journeyman
dual booting with windows
2 drives one of 68 GB
other of 12 GB......
its hp 6114 laptop
I've deleted recovery partition so that that amount of disc space is free now.......

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Why did you delete the Recovery Partition! Thats the most valuable feature in HP Laptops.
Instead of deleting the partition, you could have partitioned the 68GB further to 2 partitions. The other partition could have been used for Linux.
Anyway, since it's all over, Here is the method of installing Linux. The method is similar for all distros.

1. Make 2 partitions of your 12GB drive. viz. 11.5GB and 500MB partition. Here 500MB is a swap partition for Linux. You can install Linux without this partition. Linux will automatically create swap partition in the installation drive itself. But there will be decrease in performance. Hence I suggest you to make a swap partition prior to installation of Linux. Leave both the partitions unformatted.

So at this stage your HDD should look like this:

C:> 68GB
unformatted:> 11.5GB
unformatted:> 500MB

Note: Unformatted partitions will not be visible in "My Computer" of Windows.

2. After done with partitions, you are now ready to install Linux.
Insert the Fedora CD 1 and boot from CD

3. You will get a Fedora screen with "Release Notes" and "Next" tabs

4. Click "Next"

5. It will ask for Language of installation, select "English" and click "Next"

6. Appropriate Keyboard for your system - select "U.S. English"

7. Now it will prompt for partition types viz. Automatic selection, Manual selection. Select Manual Partition selection. This is very IMPORTANT to see that your Windows Partition is not wiped out. Click "Next"

8. All the partitions will be visible now. Select the 11.5GB partition and click "EDIT"

9. Make it as root. i.e. select "\" option from the list and the format as "ext2" and click OK

10. Now select 500MB partition and click "EDIT".

11. Select "SWAP" from the list and click OK

12. That's the most important parts of installation. Rest of the things are common things like Network configuration, Location..etc. Proceed with the installation.

You are done!. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom