Installation Problem....HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIRENKAY

Broken In
I have two Drives C: and D:. Drive C:had Windows XP Pro. Both drive were Fat32. Recently My System got infected with virus. Anti-Virus didn't helped...so I formatted my C: drive as NTFS..(oh god ;;what I did? C: is primary partition..)

Now, when I tried to install Win 98 or Win ME through installation CD..but I can't seem to install Windows 98 or Widows Me/win xp. I have the Installation CD and the 98 Boot Disk, Win Me Startup disk and Win Xp Startup disk (6 set)...nothing worked...

Don't know what to do...How to start My Pc...

Please help...

Thankx...
VIRENKAY

raval_manoj

Broken In
Boot from bootable media cd/floppy.
Then use DM (disk manager utility of your hdd) from command prompt.
Follow the steps for hdd drive installation and choose FAT32.
After this you can proceed OS installation.

G

gxsaurav

Windows 98/Me cannot be installed on NTFS partition, reformat & try again, this time make the primary partition as FAT32

OP
VIRENKAY

VIRENKAY

Broken In
gxsaurav said:
Windows 98/Me cannot be installed on NTFS partition, reformat & try again, this time make the primary partition as FAT32

How to reformat....DOS can't access NTFS partition.

Please suggest any....step by step procedure to begin installation

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
A windows Xp cd is all what you need. If its not a bootable one, then boot from the win98 boot disk, Edit: dont forget to run smartdrv twice and then insert the xp cd , run /i386/winnt

You would be able to begin the installation, and the setup has a partition manager to help you out with the settings.

If you want to install win98, just boot with the 98 boot disk, use a utility like pqmagic to delete your old partitions and create a new fat32 partition. and restart to begin the 98 setup

Last edited:

digiFriend

In the zone
there is a freeware program called DOS4NTFS, its a small program for creating bootup floppy.if you can get access to other computer,and download this utility your problem will be solved.
or boot from xp cd ,install till it ask drive name, format type.select c: and change format to FAT32.
(as you have formated c: drive you have lost
BOOT.ini
BOOTSECT.dos
ntdetect.com
ntldr

This four files are in C: that help in dual booting. this files are needed for booting of Windows Xp in D:)

Ishan

In the zone
I had the same problem first when i formatted my whole Pc, including the system drive(i was having only win 98 at that time) : some one suggested me to follow this:
1)start the pc through win98 startupdisk,
2)type sys c:
3) run fdisk, and set the partitions(logical, extended etc etc u'll get it when u'll do it) and their partitions again
4) try to install the operating systems again..as u wish!
5) then reply what happens with u>

sailo

Right off the assembly line
use partition magic to boot from cd/floopy then format your c: with fat 32 after that you can install win98/ME/XP whichever you like on c:

47shailesh

Security Exp
NTFS came after win98 so 98 is imcompatible with it. AND since u had formatted primary partion ur XP had lost's its BOOTSTRAP loader now what u had to do is to use "XP disk" and format ur C drive as FAT and install 98 and then WIN xp here u go ENJOY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom