install Windows 2000 after you've installed Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aman_agrawal

Broken In
Backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM

1) In Windows XP, open Windows Explorer and locate NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root directory of your boot drive. These are usually Hidden files, so you'll have to adjust your Explorer options to show them.
2) Copy these files to a blank, formatted floppy, or other location that will be available after the Win2K install.

Install Windows 2000

1) Boot your computer from the Win2K CD and continue with the installation.
2) Proceed with the install. Install Windows 2000 to a different partition than XP is installed in.
3) Complete the Windows install. Allow the computer to boot into Windows 2000.

Repairing the Windows XP Boot Loader

When the Windows 2000 installation is done, boot the computer into Windows 2000, not Windows XP.

1) Insert the floppy disk that you used earlier (or access the location you used), to backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
2) Copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM back to the root directory of your boot drive. Again, you may have to adjust your Explorer Options.

Now, you'll be able to restart your computer and boot into Win 2K or Win XP. This procedure is necessary because the Win XP version of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM will boot Windows 2000, but not vice-versa.

Deep

Version 2.0
Okay....

I have seen many posts by aman_agrawal, most of their are locked and are in wrong sections...

Moderators have tried their best to ignore the mistakes made by the poster but i think it is more than enough now...

I am warning the member for not following forum rules, posting things in wrong section despite threads getting locked with the messsage by moderators and posting stuff withouht the source

Locking the thread.
Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom