Install KDE on Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
How can one install KDE 3.4 desktop(as I have heard it is really fast)...
on the gnome based UBuntu 5.04...
Also tell me the resources from where I can use the Package for KDE as ubuntu uses .deb packages ( I suppose tht KDE comes as a package only :roll: .)

kartik_mistry

Broken In
Simple: If you have good net

Code:
apt-get install kde

You can add kubuntu 5.04 CD to your repositories by,

Code:
apt-cdrom add

sba

Journeyman
KDE is not "really fast" when compared to GNOME. They give more or less equal speeds...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sba said:
KDE is not "really fast" when compared to GNOME. They give more or less equal speeds...
You should see KDE with Plastik theme, it looks very neat and fast. But in my persnoal benchmarks i found GNOME to be more responsive than KDE on low memory systems.

ujjwal

Padawan

Actually, I found KDE 3.4 (running on the slax live cd) to be even faster than XFCE. There seem to have been huge performance improvements. But even Gnome is getting faster (thanks to optimisation of the GTK+2 toolkit).

sba

Journeyman
ujjwal said:
Actually, I found KDE 3.4 (running on the slax live cd) to be even faster than XFCE. There seem to have been huge performance improvements. But even Gnome is getting faster (thanks to optimisation of the GTK+2 toolkit).
May be I never experience this kind of slowness on my system with decent resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom