Install error FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

adorablesrini

Broken In
Guys help me out here!!

I hav a Samsung 20Gb DD with WinXP pro loaded on it.
Win XP is loaded on the primary partition (C:)
i hav an E: drive on the logical partition.
I wanted to Install FreeBSD (which came in Nov 2004 Digit DVD).
I created another primary partition i: for FreeBSD

Now whenever i boot with the Installation Cd (which i created from the ISO). i get stuck at a point.Always at that point.The screen shows the follwing(i am writing the last few lines of error):

GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0x3100360
ad0: 19139 MB <Samsung SV2001H>[38869/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad0:TIME-OUT READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA = 39179889
ad0:DMA limited to UDMA33,non-ATA 66 cable or device
ad0:Time-out READ_DMA retyring (2 retries left) LBA=0
ad0:DMA limited to UDMA33,non-ATA 66 cable or device
ad0:Warning - READ_DMA interrupt was seen but Timeout fired LBA=39179889
ad0:Warning - READ_DMA interrupt was seen but Timeout fired LBA=39179889

This is wat it shows and gets stuck at this!! I tried the cd at my friends comp and it worked fine there!!

Help me out.How shud i go about to installing FREEBSD.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I wonder if this is a problem with your harddisk, sepecially since the same cd works fine at your friend's place.

Try enabling/disabling the DMA and see.. It could be some issue with your harddisk.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
DMA is probably it. And tell you what Samsung knows how to engineer its HDD right to the opposite of perfection. chuck it out as soon as you can. If you'll believe me i changed my silly Samsung HDD 4 times, thats right 4 times in 1.5 yrs and threw it out for a brand new Seagate 160 GB SATA.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
might be a long shot . What cable are u using to connect ur hdd ???
try these :
- change cables between 40-80 , which ever works ,
- If its an 80 conductor cable , Make sure u have the blue end on the m/b , grey as blank and black connected to ur hdd
- Change HDD mode to LBA in bios
- Is ur HDD the primary master ? try changing the position its connected in .
- Is there any other drive connected to the same cable as HDD

daj123

Journeyman
If you want my advice then DONT INSTALL FREEBSD. It is EVIL! Yes, it destroyed my Linux, Windows and other partitions. Mind you I had allocated a FULL, PHYSICALLY SEPARATE, COMPLETE HARDDISK to it and still it had to go around mucking up the boot sectors of my other HDDs. IMVHO FreeBSD is still unstable and its hardware support SUCKS! Yes, there is no denying it. So my friend I would highly recommend you to install it in an emulator like Virtual PC or QEMU.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@daj123, FreeBSD is NOT evil. It works on my strange and bizzare configuration. Install went out smoothly.. And my lesser geek students installed it nicely...
I still believe you might have misconfigured something while partitioning.

OP
A

adorablesrini

Broken In
Wel klinux i use a standard IDE connector which came with my CD-Writer. I hav a CD-Writer attached to the same cable.I hav my HDD as Primary Master.

And can u please guide me on how to enable DMA for HDD.

And also i created my Partitions using Partition Magic so is it safe to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom