info on service packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude_hp

Right off the assembly line
i'm using the wxp sp2 that came with digit dvd. while using sp1(sp1a), i had installed the updates for worm/virus/whatever for things like blaster,mydoom, sasser and the likes. i'm talking about those relatively tiny files which start with KBxx.... with some strange numbers.

i want to know if i still have to install them after installing sp2. besides will it work. won't such updates be included into sp2. i think they should. i ain't sure.

i also read on the MS site that they are compiling their new stuff like updates on new compilers, which prevent the buffer underrun problems, which mess up windows. so after updating to newer service packs and then some files get corrupt, i can't be restoring those files back from the installation cd. right? so if i have to restore/update, will i find it in that dllcache folder or is it some where else.

also while installing sp1/sp2 form a drive say d:, the contents get extracted to something like "d:\(some long string of numbers and characters)". can i delete this after installation or does it get deleted automatically or is this where i should keep the backup of the new files.

sUlPhUr|nE`

Broken In
SP2 has the removal tool for Blaster & other such criminal viruses. So, there is no need of you to install those KBxx cr*p again ;)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
1) Sp2 is a cumulative ..so no need to install sp1 or even those patches again.

2) i really cudn't figure out what you meant.

3) Yes you can safely delete the folder. But this folder is automatically deleted after a succesful sp2 install. Seems like u ran into a bit of trouble and had to start the installation again ?

prathapml

Broken In
don't use pre-release versions when a software reaches final release.
Get WXP's SP2 update from here - *www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

But the RC2 in this months DVD is pretty good as well. If you want to get the full version, and have a licensed version of WXP, turn on automatic updates to get SP2 final - you'll have to download about 25 MB in that case (don't worry, Windows Auto-Aupdate will do it for you, just turn it on and see that you have the time/bandwidth for it).

Once you have either RC2 or final of SP2, you don't need *ANY* update or patch - you've entered digital-age nirvana (atleast for the next 6 months till a new worm for SP2 is out, LOL).

In your current version, just open a CMD, and type
Code:
blastcln /v
to check for existence of blaster worm, and to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom