Indians pay the second highest price for a ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
One of Australia's biggest banks, the Commonwealth Bank (CBA.AX), has used the latest version of Apple's (Nasdaq:APPL - news) music player -- the slimline Nano -- to compare global currencies and purchasing power in 26 countries.

Along the lines of the Big Mac index launched 20 years ago by The Economist magazine, the survey prices the 2GB Nano in U.S. dollars and found Brazilians pay the most for an iPod, shelling out $327.71, well above second-placed India at $222.27.

The CommSec iPod Index, based on January 2007 prices.

1. Brazil $327.71

2. India $222.27

3. Sweden $213.03

4. Denmark $208.25

5. Belgium $205.81

6. France $205.80

7. Finland $205.80

8. Ireland $205.79

9. UK $195.04

10. Austria $192.86

11. Netherlands $192.86

12. Spain $192.86

13. Italy $192.86

14. Germany $192.46

15. China $179.84

16. South Korea $176.17

17. Switzerland $175.59

18. New Zealand $172.53

19. Australia $172.36

20. Taiwan $164.88

21. Singapore $161.25

22. Mexico $154.46

23. U.S. $149.00

24. Japan $147.63

25. Hong Kong $147.35

26. Canada $144.20

source

shaunak

Tux Fan
We are [officialy] paying more for the ps3 and xbox 360 as well. No wonder the "street price sellers" are doing so well

CINTEL ENTRINO

Loading . . . please d'nt
The developing countries like india , brazil , venezuela , iran etc. are being looted in the name of globalization

This is my view.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
looted indians hav a lot of money .... unfortunately ..... its the tax tht messes up everything .... i got my ipod from japan duty free shop and the price was same as tht in alfa .... not sure whether the alfa guy gav me a genuine bill/warranty or no ... but i got mine

VAT ne watt laga di

kumarmohit

Technomancer
If we can pay almost 100% of oil price as tax when we buy say petrol we are suffering becoz of taxes so is the case here. Duty hi Dil tod deti hai...:-(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is about 50% tax on Petrol we buy, if there was no tax, we would have been paying Rs 30 per liter

In other news, Apple is making 50% profit on each iPhone sold, so much for valid & proper prices

but they r providing gr8 technology too on the other side side of the world .
but the hell i dont know is why the highest for a country thats just down there....

aliasghark

who? what?
oil maybe is taxed at more than 100% imo here in india, coz it sells for about 6 rupees a liter in s.arabia

*www.ameinfo.com/106293.html

and imho, a caring and peaceful kingdom is a lot better than an argy-bargy democracy.

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
rahul_becks23 said:
but they r providing gr8 technology too on the other side side of the world .
but the hell i dont know is why the highest for a country thats just down there....

World has shrunk , now there is nothing like the other side of the world.

Pathik

Google Bot
look @ the brighter side... despite all this... india is progressing in terms of technology.... :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
In other news, Apple is making 50% profit on each iPhone sold, so much for valid & proper prices
They are not forcing it down your throat. You are free not to buy it if you find the prices prohibitively expensive.

BTW, the price of the product is not solely decided by how much goes into the physical requirements of producing a single unit. They have spent a huge lot on R&D too. They have to pay all sorts of taxes, etc. - plus they will have to pay for the advertising that is bound to follow the launch of the product.
And to top that off, the 50% thing is just a rumour, a speculation.
Anyway, how do you know that other companies do not make as much profit on the products they sell?

BTW, MS charges $400 per copy of Windows Vista Ultimate - but as far as I can see, they do not have to spend more than 5 dollars to produce new copies of the product. So, they are effectively making about 99% profit on every copy sold. :lol:

Sorry for the off-topic reply!

As for those prices, yeah, the Indian Government really needs to reduce whatever charges the tech companies pay for shipping their products into India.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I think people in this thread have misunderstood what the article actually meant. It used a 2 GB ipod nano as an indicator of the purchasing power in various countries.

It does not literally mean that Indians pay $222 per nano. I haven't read the article, but what I saw in the summary tells me that it has more to do with economics than comparing iPod rates.

Edit-
Purchasing power parity surveys compare the prices of goods in different countries and at their simplest level can help show whether one currency is undervalued against another.

James said the results suggested the U.S. currency had scope to rise against a range of major currencies except for the Hong Kong and Canadian dollars or the Japanese yen.

However, the results could be influenced by different pricing policies that Apple might apply in different parts of the world, James said.

Here is what the article actually meant to say.

I'm surprised by the complete lack of common sense and basic knowledge of economics in this thread.

I think it is high time that basic economics be taught to Indian students.

For your information, India just charges 4% import duty on IT goods. As for 4% VAT in India, Brits pay 19% VAT. So, it's high time people start learning about the world around them.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
as far as i know ... london avoid shopping thr ... jaoan no difference cost if u think tht thr produced so cheaper .... india ... v hav so much of money tht v dont mind paying any price for the things tht we want

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
mAV3 said:
as far as i know ... london avoid shopping thr ... jaoan no difference cost if u think tht thr produced so cheaper .... india ... v hav so much of money tht v dont mind paying any price for the things tht we want

Did you even read the news article and my post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom