Indians living abroad-is it really worth it?

Is it really worth the trouble?

• Yes

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Not applicable/no comments

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

techx

Right off the assembly line
If want to know what real life go abroad.
When I came here I learned life is not we see in dreams . It is mch much harder. will really come to know the value of our country and our family
It is better to be home

Deep

Version 2.0
I think it is pretty much worth the trouble but again it all depends upon the goals of your life. I would like to give an example of one of my cousins who currently well settled in US..

He left India around 6-7 years back, he started off with going by cycle and train / buses to his office, was living in a rented house... gradually, he started growing, saved the money.. bought a decent car.. called his parents for the first time..

The time moved on.. he bought a house in India (for investment purpose mainly), called his parents again for a long trip, enjoyed with them.. time moved on.. he bought his own house... (some row house) and again his parents are going to visit him next month..

So the point of this example is, you have to work lot more harder and be lot more patience, if you are working hard, you shall get the fruits..

And this applies to anyone and any place, be it outside India or within India..

Dipen01

Youngling
Satisfaction. Without it , how much you have, how good the place you live in,
Doesnt really matter.

Thats it...!! That sums up everything..

Well i havent read whole thread... Only went through Deep & Aberforths post... But satisfaction is all that counts..

I come from a rural background. The population of my hometown (if it can be called) is 80k and we dont even have a decent English School..Forget colleges.

I have been in Pune since last 5-6 yrs. But i still wish i was with my family.. Because for me in the end thats the only thing which counts..

Deep

Version 2.0
In india LOTS I mean LOTS of other factors and wierd ones too comes in to play when you are in to corporate world trying to climb the ladder........

Oh yes, that comes with the package of hard work.. smartness should be added with the hard work.. I have experienced this personally, many big corporate houses tried to chew me by not paying the balance amount for the project, just because their show flopped but If things are handled in a smarter way then I guess those kind of people can be tackled easily. I think getting more deep into this would take us away from this topic, may be I will throw more light on it if there is any business / employment related topic around :)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
let me add to the list a bit..

i have a few family members and friends(well, dad's frnds..cant be mine tho) who live in the US..

my uncle is the vice-president of progenics pharmaceuticals wile my aunt is a general manager of a reputed bank..my cousin is working in intel as a technical advisor while his wife is at the same corporation doing R&d.Another cousin of mine is the product manager of texas instruments and his wife runs a courier franchisee..another cousin..not married..working at NASA..so u ca guess how widespread my whole network is..

As a matter of fact..i asked each of them and have come to my own conclusions...

1)they wont promote you after a certain post if you are an indian..but will make sure u work the hardest..harder than an american 5 paces below ur job..if needed, u are asked to comeright back from ur vacation and report to an assignment there...u will however be paid to do so...working hours are very tight..and weekends are mainly spent working up the whole house..

2)if u have a child thats a greater problem..u cant take proper attention of him/her and thereby u sent him to a child program centre. where they interact with students of their own age and thereby dont give a damn t their mother tongue..they are brought up in the american ways..how hard their parents try to teach them some indian culture..

3)family relations detoriate living there..coz most of them are busy with their own work and hardly have time fore their family down here...as a result..misunderstandings are a matter of the day..

4)life becomes too money centric..u have frnds if u have money..else u dont..the more u spend the more frnds u have...

Deep

Version 2.0
I don't knowbut the life of my cousin is pretty much cool out there, he works for SAP and is happy with the stuff, enjoys the weekend royally, no problems with the job too..

Deep

Version 2.0
mmmm so according to you a person who is hardworking but may be not that smart, or shrewed (or does not know how to tackle "Those" guys)....if I may put it that way....... does not have the right to the so called "fruit" u are talking about...??

I seriously have no idea why people draw conclusions by assuming the stuff from the statements..

Let me make the stuff crystal clear then...

I am not sure if you have idea or not but this so called corporate world is full of politics, be it India or be it out of India (though it might not be so bad out there), people will try to take advantage of the person who just keeps on doing the work all the time, I have seen many of the known people getting affected because of this. There will be a group of people waiting for the oppertunity to exploit the employees, give them loads of work, make them work in the weekends, nights etc.. but if the person is aware about the things and smart enough then he can tackle these problems by some or other ways.

But if he is not aware about these issues, then it might be difficult for him to stay longer as this load will be never ending.

Now by this I DO NOT MEAN THAT YOU CANNOT STAY THERE IF YOU ARE NOT SMART BUT WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS, A PERSON SHOULD BE AWARE ABOUT THESE KIND OF THINGS WHICH DO HAPPEN IN CORPORATE WORLD (which comes under your "LOTS of other factors")

I hope now everything is clear?

// Sorry guys for the caps, I never expected my simple english is so much complicated that I have to re-explain the same stuff to few people.. (so that they dont misunderstand it) haha

Deep

Version 2.0
Whats there to assume , you yourself said that smartness needs to be added along with hardwork to get he fruit...............so it obviously means if smartness is not there hardwork alone would not bear the fruit...............if thats what you mean atleast have the balls to stick to it.

Kid? I seriously did not expect this argument go till this point.. I really do not understand why you are making such a small thing big issue? Infact it is not at all relevent to this topic.. I mean, dude, grow up yaar, why are you behaving and arguing like a kid? Don't you understand what I meant? Whats the point in getting into personal war on baseless argument? talking about balls.. Just grow up and talk sensibly and then dare to get into any argument. I am open to healthy discussions but not to childish personal arguments like this..

I am framing the sentense again if you still havent got it..

You need hardwork + smartness to suceed, only hardwork doesnt help, only hardwork can give the results but it all depends upon the situation and the work environment.. and it certainly doen't meant that if you are not smart enough you will be kicked off, it is just that you need to learn from the experiences and grow.. life is a growing process..

I guess, any 10 year old kid would be able to understand the meaning of this. So if you are smart enough then for god's sake don't argue on baseless stuff and dont draw this topic to an offtopic.

Grow up..

mediator

Technomancer
I think it is pretty much worth the trouble but again it all depends upon the goals of your life. I would like to give an example of one of my cousins who currently well settled in US..

He left India around 6-7 years back, he started off with going by cycle and train / buses to his office, was living in a rented house... gradually, he started growing, saved the money.. bought a decent car.. called his parents for the first time..

The time moved on.. he bought a house in India (for investment purpose mainly), called his parents again for a long trip, enjoyed with them.. time moved on.. he bought his own house... (some row house) and again his parents are going to visit him next month..

So the point of this example is, you have to work lot more harder and be lot more patience, if you are working hard, you shall get the fruits..

I agree, its like a chess game where u have to play accordingly with ur senses on every single development. N for freshers, once u get the experience its easy to hop then. Well thats the similarity between gals and corporates I guess. :oops:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
^^Hey Aberforth, you did not comment on my quoted comment..... :D. Thought to have your opinion on what I said as well.
Well you made your point pretty good, so I had nothing more to add. My apologies for the omission. :D

I agree that a person who has the potential to shine will do so, whether in India or any other country. However, in my personal experience it takes a lot more work to achieve something in India as compared to Europe or United States.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I wonder when you say "lot more work" are we both at the same page in understanding the Indian corporate world.......
Well its not only the corporate world but also the day to day life that is a rough grind for Indians. If Indians didn't have a strong family structures, most of them would have burned out like the Soviets. The income is far less than in western countries for the same effort and qualification, yet the prices of goods ad services in India is far more expensive than in Europe. Except maybe train fares and mobile calls; the European trains are worth the money though.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
Man, I agree with the point that its boring life as you dont have much friends here and your parents miss you very much in India..
I am onsite since one year.. I am not much social person so I dont feel lonelyness but I can understand that many people misses me in India..

positive point here is you get good salary and bit higher life standard easily. Basic necesity of life are very well understood here.. Also you got to know new cultures..

But i strongly believe that you should not settle here.. India is the Best.. And If you get 12 lakhs per year in India then why should you be outside India away from your loved ones..

Again it depends on person to person..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom