Importing a Laptop (Urgent!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlyvenom

Broken In
hello everybody
i'll be going to malaysia soon for 4 days and I'm planning to buy a laptop there and bring it with me when I return to India.
what I wanna know is,am I gonna have to pay any import duty for the laptop?
please keep in mind I'm an Indian resident going abroad on a 4 day vacation.
has anyone tried this before?
please help me out here asap coz I'll be leaving tomorrow evening.
Thank You

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If you're carrying it unpacked there's no need to pay duties, just make sure you've used the lappy before you enter the airport. :))

Am not too sure about that, but I know many of my relatives who've done this successfully. Just by portraying its your personal item.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
One of my collegue had gone to US and when returned with a new laptop .. he had to pay Rs.500 . I only remember that .. dont know the exact reason on why he paid that..

OP
D

deadlyvenom

Broken In
thanks for the quick response guys :) this is a very helpful place indeed.but i'm still looking for some very experienced answers...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
When I came from Dubai (to Trivandrum Airport), I had a brand new laptop. Just discard the boxes, and put in the laptop bag.

You can bring upto 1 laptop for 'personal' purpose and don't declare in the emigration form.

So:-
1. Never declare ANYTHING in the emigration form they give in airport/flight.
2. In case they ask, tell it's your personal laptop.

OP
D

deadlyvenom

Broken In
cool,were you on a vacation to dubai?coz i heard there are certain allowances for people who have been working or studying abroad.
oh..and this emigration form..are they gonna give it to me when i return to India or at the time of my departure from India?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
I have multiple-entry, 3 year Residence Visa of UAE. :D I was working in Dubai.

As far as I know, there's no allowances for people. It depends on the visa. My Boss and my cousin who both got Business Visa (for UAE & Japan resp.) have carried 2 lappies without any issues.

The emigration form will be given to you just before the flight lands (in India) or before they stamp your passport when you return to India.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
God help you if you require service in India after you buy it. Stick to reputed brands who HAVE a service centre near you, and insist on International Warranty when you buy. You may have to pay a little more for that.

Pathik

Google Bot
AFAIK you can bring in one gadget of a type by declaring it as ur own..
so u can bring a lappy, a mp3 player, a cell fone all together..

OP
D

deadlyvenom

Broken In
thanks a lot everyone!
@ nucleuskore..its a dell laptop..so i don't have to worry about service centres coz there are plenty in India
waiting for more answers!

bump!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom