IDE or SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

santu_29

Journeyman
i need to get a 40gb hdd, i am confused between 7200rpm sata or ide, the cost is almost the same, in case of sata ill haveto get a sata card also as my motherboard intel845gv does not have inbuilt sata support. how much will the card cost? please tell me whats better and why.... thanks

sms_solver

In the zone
For your motherboard, it is better to go for IDE.
I would suggest you to go for SATA only if you are buying the new system and the motherboard has SATA support.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Go for IDE. It will give you better performance with your motherboard. Or else look for fast 10,000 rpm + drives from westren digital or so. They will give on par performance with SATA. They r costly.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
SATA is obviously better if you have the dough.
If you can, and are willing to, upgrade your motherboard (as you rightly should), SATA is the way to go.

OP
santu_29

santu_29

Journeyman
well i cant upgrade my mobo as ill have to upgrade my cpu also in that case, its p4 2.4ghz.. so..

maximus

Broken In
as for sata on the interface speed is 150 mbps where as ide it is 133 mbps,as we can see there is not much difference.sata drivers are not native to windows so u need to put floppy for sata driver during installation of xp if u plan to buy a sata hard disk and a card. which mean ur computer is dependend on the very unreliable floppy..

cooldip10

In the zone
Hey i have same mobo and am in pit with its incompatibility with everything.. I suggest you to get IDE HDD if and only if its urgent.. If not then wait for one yr as i'm doin', then get a new mobo which will be supporting VISTA. You can't waste money for buying a new mobo for one yr. satisfaction only... can u?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Also the 150 MBps and 133 MBps speeds are just thoretical. Average speeds are generally in the range of 50-60 MBps for both IDE and SATA drives.

OP
santu_29

santu_29

Journeyman
i think ill go for ide, my present segate hdd has given me enough headache, ill get a 'western digital' hdd this time.....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
kalpik said:
Also the 150 MBps and 133 MBps speeds are just thoretical. Average speeds are generally in the range of 50-60 MBps for both IDE and SATA drives.

True, For eg. my Hitachi SATA has an actual speed of 60 MBps only. It can be changed to SATA II with theoretical 300 MBps using "Hitachi Feature Tool" software, but I have not tried it since I dont think it will make any noticeable difference. Anyway I am going to experiment.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I just added a SATA 250gb segate to my 845glad mobo.
I had to buy a SATA to IDE convertor card for Rs 500/- single HDD, the same is also available for Rs 1200/- & supports 2 sata to IDE disk.

Running photoshop before on PATA & now on SATA does not make me feel any speed difference. I bought SATA just to be able to use it better whenever I change my comp.
Speed difference is negligible but so was the price difference so I better have latest technology.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
If you have bought a SATA to PATA card, then obviously the drive will not work faster than PATA cuz the bandwidth of the IDE channel is the bottleneck.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
maximus said:
sata drivers are not native to windows so u need to put floppy for sata driver during installation of xp if u plan to buy a sata hard disk and a card. which mean ur computer is dependend on the very unreliable floppy..

in win sp2 which has native support for sata drive there no need of floopy;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom