i want save settings of these.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

kool

Cyborg Agent
dear friends,
i want to save settings and preferances of outlook, incredimail, yahoo, msn messenger, opera, (specially these also=>>) GPEDIT.MSC, REGEDIT, SERVICES.MSC.
is it possible to save all settings of these application on to BLANK CD????????
coz whenver i re-install winXP, I've to set again these settings, now i'm tired.....
plzzzzzz post yr answer sooooon.....

theraven

Technomancer
well if ur gonna be installin the same programs again to the same place
after its up u can just use a backed up copy of ur registry
use the export facility of ur regedit to backup
and then the import facility when ur done reinstallin
all ur settings will be back ..
alternatively u can create a .reg file in notepad with all ur tweaks in it

for eg.
These registry tweaks disable the bubble notifications you would get in the System Tray, warning you that the Windows Firewall is off, Antivirus software isn't installed, or Automatic Updates is disabled:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Disable Anti-virus Notifications
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

;Disable Firewall Notifications
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

;Disable Automatic Updates Notifications
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
[edit]
the ";" deontes a remark ( or a REM statement as most of us refer to )
see the multiple tweaks ??
copy paste above in notepad
save it
and rename files as a .reg extension
and voila ... u gotta registry file which when u click on ... u can import into ur registry !!!

for the programs .. what i usually do is ... after freshly installin it .. i overwrite the folders on the new one.. hence the old settings are overwritten on the reset ones ;)
also works well when u have updates installed ...

i hope u were talkin abt outlook and not outlook express
cuz this is how to backup outlook
*www.finaldownload.com/internet_networking_email_backrex_outlook_backup.html

i am currently lookin into gpedit and services settings
best of luck

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
for opera . u can click on help>about opera> and u get a listing of important files in opera along with their path . something like this

Preferences D:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Opera\Opera75\profile\opera6.ini
Saved windows D:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Opera\Opera75\profile\opera.win
Bookmarks D:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Opera\Opera75\profile\opera6.adr

u can save the .win, .ini and .adr files and use it after u reinstall opera

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
i tried saving the dat files of yahoo msg archieve of my .... ;) . well i was unable to open them after a reinstall . same case for msn msgr but u have option to save entire conversation with a particular person in txt or rtf . plus search for xml file in msn msgr folder , it might hold the chat sessions . u could just keep a backup of the whole folder from program files , just in case someone finds an app which might open those files later . just backup as much as u can in a cd . else u might have hard time finding information later . 10rs cd can save head aches . else get cd-rw

tuxfan

Technomancer
For backing up and restoring Outlook Express (hope that is what you meant when you said Outlook) you can have a look here for step by step guide with screen shots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom