I want Freedom! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
I have tried many disros.. :idea:

I now want to try debian.. The Universal OS for the first time! :D

I want to know a few things about the distro....

1. In what ways is a debian distro better than other available distros? like fedora or mandrake or suse.....

2. Debian has long release cycles...
The current one Debian 3.1 (Sarge) has many Outdated packages. Now I think I have to update after installation....

Debian etch is scheduled to release on December 2006! :(

3. I need to download now. Do I need to download Everthing?. I just need only the base. (Or else I have to buy.. How much does the DVDs Cost and How many DVDs?)

4. Morover I want to learn more!. I believe debian would be a suitable distro..

5. Morover can anyone link me to a good tutorial about setting Path in linux. I am confused! :roll: . [Edited]

6. Also how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH?. How to see the current set paths?

7. Also I need to know more about Symbolic Links... Can anyone give me a good example... of why and where it is used?

Expecting Your Replies! :D

praka123

left this forum longback
:D Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux club...
1.Debian sarge is rock solid distro u can depend upon +dpkg,debconf config tools better than rpm or .tgz ...
2u need to update using apt-get update OR get etch which is more up2date..unstable distro have freq changing packages...
3.if u got boradband d/l sarge/etch network install cd after the base installed u can update and install the needed packages...
4.debian is!
5.debian linux comes with good documentations installed! or u can refer tldp.org or ibibilio.org for .pdf ones!
6._^^ is that something 2 do with kernel compile?or run time library...can u enlighten me..
7.Symbolic links can be made by " ln -s TARGET [LINK_NAME]"

I believe u know most of the things!

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Debian has 14 cds or more.The first 3 or 4 should do for the base system with gnome and kDe..Others can be downloaded if you want apps that are not in the first 4..

praka123

left this forum longback
Getting Debian etch CD is a little difficult @tleast this time as sarge is the major distro from debianu may ask some bb or T1 guys to d/l etch for u or ask online sellers of Linux CD's to download for u....otherwise network install is the option;u can do it in ur night time.. :wink:

praka123

left this forum longback
:D simply read "man ln" FYI two types of links; hard and soft/symbolic links
which can be made by "ln -s source target" for hardlink it is "ln [options] source tartget"

@naveenchandran:
is that something to do with prelink?prelink package is available in debian and command is 'prelink' itself...ldconfig is another one...

OP
N

naveenchandran

In the zone
prakash kerala said:
@naveenchandran:
is that something to do with prelink?prelink package is available in debian and command is 'prelink' itself...ldconfig is another one...

I think those path should be set in order while compilation so that it can link with those necessary libraries...

ujjwal

Padawan
Type "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='xyz'" to set it, replacing xyz with the directory. You can type "set" to see whatever is set.

For adding a location to the bin path, use "export PATH=$PATH:/dir/bin", where /dir/bin is the location you want to add.

I have tried debian through ubuntu, and I like some of its convenient adminsteration features which it provides, like the package manager, the aptitude frontend etc, but I didn't much care for the system v style init which debian (and many others, actually) uses, and the greater level of complexity in the functioning of the distro. Definitely try it out though.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think get first 3 or 4 even 5 isos will do.hey u said u got dataone 256 aLLe?
i too have this connxn get the full benefeit by using 2.12AM to 8AM (approx 6 hours..) download..try d4x or kget downld.managers....or jigdo i donno more abut jigdo..hmm best of Lux :D

musafir

Broken In
is the distro also available in dvd...it's too much of a hassle installing linux from so many cd'...unless there is no other option available

praka123

left this forum longback
PCQ did gave last december...if u fret of d/lding get in touch with
a near by LUG as ur near to B'lore its EASy.there r lot of Linux CD vendros there try bookstalls in MG road Like Gan@g@r@ms.. :wink:
@musafir:
i think unofficial etchdvds are available from ftps try google... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom