i think i have a solution for moisture problem!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi
i think i have a solution for moisture problem.remember those small packets that u get in shoe boxes and other such boxes it is some silica gel thing and it is supposed to prevent moisture.so what if we keep a packet or two in our cabinets.what do u think?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Its called Silica gel and it is used for taking care of moisture. If you get a high end cabinet, you will find two or three sachets of Silica gel with it.

gannu_rox

In the zone
I bet my Coolermaster Cavalier dint come with one though.
My friends Antec Lanboy also dint.
Hmmmm... Strange.

Must buy a pair of shoes...

Eazy

Journeyman
A few thoughts on Silica Gel.

Silica Gel can only reduce humidity as long as it is in an air tight container - it keeps absorbing moisture untill it is saturated and then it is useless till it is heated. In a computer case which is never air tight I think Silica Gel will get saturated in a few hours.

There are 2 varieties of silica gel the indicative blue dye one and the plain white one. What we get in sachets with equipment is mostly of the non indicative white variety. You have to monitor the humidity level inside the case to know how effective the Silica Gel has been - I have Hygrometers which are used for monitoring humidity levels. Silica gel has one bad property - with normal handling it keeps breaking down into a fine crystalline powder and this will spread inside the computer case with the air from the case fans.

If you dont monitor the humidity level with a hygromemter then you will not know if the humidity is too high and ineffective or too low and this can actually dry out solder off contacts and create problems.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
The observations by Eazy are mostly correct. Silica gel is actually commonly used to keep cameras and especially their lenses safe from fungus, by reducing moisture. But this is achieved by keeping the camera/lenses and silica gel within an air tight container which is preferably transparent.
But you cannot keep your PC airtight and even if it were possible(may be in case of water cooling), the quantity of silica gel required will be very large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom