I need a MENTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipher

Broken In
I am an engineering student of final year computer science and engineering.... i m developing a download manager for Linux environment.... and i need mentor ... the UI will be designed using qt and i plan to code the back end in C++ .... if someone can metor me for the project i would be obliged .... would be beneficial for me if my mentor is from india and not abroad so that i can contact him over the phone if needed .... the project will inclucde some serious socket API and a threaded module too... HELP ME PLEASE

G

gxsaurav

Well,a download manager for Linux is a good startas it is really required for linux, as still nothing close to DAP 7.4 in UI & ease of use

I m no coder, but if U want help I can make the UI icons etc

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
Thanks for your responses gxsaurav and khin007 ... but we desperately need a mentor ... please someone help us we are fighting a deadline which is approaching soon

demoninside

In the zone
Ok so want to do it in C++,
dude i m not much in to C or in C++,
but i guess if u want help about java then u r more then welcome,
can help u in C++ too but not sure about hw much,
any way i'll be helping u out coz one my teacher is vary good in C++ so i'll ask him to help u out.....

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
Thanks demoninside for showing interest and backing me up.... any help will do ... can you help me with control flow and data flow.. any one who can help me is welcome

demoninside

In the zone
Ok i can help,
first tell me r u doing it in C or in C++,
wht about network programming stuff,
and yes wht u want to know in control flow(coz there is not much of control flow aspact but yes dataflow is very critical,

and yes give me some details wht u hv done till yet....

nd be perticular what u want to know..

ujjwal

Padawan
HI,

Once again I cannot help you on the mentor part, as I lack any knowledge of development.

However, maybe it would help if you looked at the source code of some existing download managers for linux, and tried to get some ideas.

Two good download managers are

Aria
Downloader For X

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
Thanks Demoninside and Ujjwal .... well i am clear at logic and working of the program ... the coding will be done its not a problem ..... ill be using socket library for network programming ... the interface will be designed in gtk ... i am not at all able to understand from where to start it ... help me with the design of the software .... i want to use threading for simultaneous connections ... for any more details mail me at anubhav.atrish@gmail.com ... thanks for yor suipport and motivation

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
you are clear at logic and working of the program, then you should just start building your interface. Its already April and most universities have their acedmic year closing.. When are you going to start coding? You seem to be in thinking stage still.

I know UI building with PyGTK and Swing only. but the design of your program remains essentially same. What are the ideas you've got right now?

One could just get away by making a PyGTK UI and giving a shell call to wget -b.

demoninside

In the zone
For starting this, try this logic,

1- start with single thread simulating connection for data,
can use n/w headers, can check before simulating connection,
2- try next thred for chacing data in your system,
3- try next thread simulate transfer action & read & write option,
4- Try next thread go for second connection from the same system,,,,

so let's start work now,
i guess front end & connection wouldn't be a trouble,

any way if u need help in coding too then reply here we'll work it out....

demoninside

In the zone
and one more thing which i forgetten is,

be very serious about it coz if u haven't done ur designing then u r in deep trouble,

any way i'll make a primary model for u & mail u ASAP..

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
Thanks guys .... i ve tried copying a file on the locl machine using two threads at a time ... what i did was i opened (or created) a file of the desired size and then i copied the source file in it using two threads ... the first thread copied first half and the second thread copied the second half ... this was the logic i want to implement ... the ideas youve given are great ... ill try implementing them ... actually i m fairly good with the coding part but dont have any prctical knowledge of managing project ..also the size is very big in this case (as i ve seen source code of some download managers) ...thats the main problem i am not able to start the whole thing ... i am unable to decide from where to start ....anyways thanx again for support and motivation

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Using a local CVS repository can make life easy for you... You project wont grow big, dont worry.

Please let us know what you've done till now. Most of the people take quite some time perfecting the user interface. And the project examiners also get impressed with good UIs. The download manager part is not quite tough.

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
REALLY !!! see man i am really worried about it ... see i have designed UI on the paper .. you can say it is inspired by RegetDx .. the work on the UI has been started .. we are workin as tem of two ppl ... other one is my roomie... you tell me what to do and we will follow your instructions .. i am really worried about cookie management (Will there be cookie management ? as i m not sure about it).. i have not started the back end... you guide me and ill be walking the path shown by you ... i dont need a coding guru as my mentor rather i need a person who can help me with logic and design ... after all there is difference in knowing the path and walkin a path

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
One more thing ... how to request a certain portion of the file from the server ?? does the range field in HTTP header has to do something with this ... if yes tell me where to get reference of it ... if you have any documents please send me in pdf format at
anubhav(dot)atrish(at)gmail(dot)com

i need a book too HTTP The Definitive Guide on O'Reilly publication is someone has a PDF please send me at address above

demoninside

In the zone
The portion you are looking for is to be done by HTTP req compare,
for cookies portion the answer is YES, think about it why i said YES,
any wat u want to do is to be done by,
say u r saving into your system as a temporal file(cache) for the actual file, now you start comparing the data portion and left the part saved in the cache(skiping it), then start reciving the file after that option,.........

OP
C

Cipher

Broken In
do i need to maintain cookies for the authentication with the server ?? .... i also thought what you suggested demon but i am simply unaware of the logic behind the comparing it with the actual file ... i am not getting any proper feference to the HTTP .. i thought the book i mentioned would be helping me but its not available ... can anyone search it on any peer to peer network please ... and then mail me ... i work bhind a proxy and the firewall dont allow me to use p2p

demoninside

In the zone
k' i`ll do that,
actully didn't checked for a wile,
but yes u need cookies for keeping track of session,
as using FTP d/l u'll need it most,

nd yes the porting i hv said was for resume dessions, not for multiple likes to the server,

for this i`ll tell u tomarrow, nd yes will send u the book ASAP,

sorry for being late dude, but nowdays i m busy like hell,
coz stuck in two projects nd deadline is 24th apr,
so u can understand.....
but will help u for sure,

any way if any one know any C soure code site(better if they provide some info about code too) then pls tell me.

pallavnawani

Broken In
Cipher,

How much programming knowledge do you have, and how much design you have done already? If you don't have much time left, I suggest you scale down your plans for the download manager, and make something simple, like gwget. Gwget is a front end for wget.

Important point is that you must be able to finish the project in time. Just GUI programming with GTK will take you a lot of time. You should use Glade to make your GUI, but then you will need to handle automake/autoconf stuff correctly. If you haven't already programmed in GTK, you will need some time to understand how it works.

Don't try multithreading unless you have prior experience in it. Multithreaded programming is very hard and can have all sort of weird and difficult to find bugs. Instead, for each download, start a seperate process using fork() and execv() and outsource the job to wget, and forget about it. If you want to be fancy you can open a pipe to wget's stdout and parse the wget output and show a progress bar in your gui. Again, this takes more work.

So my thinking is that you are undertaking a project you may not be able to finish in time. So instead, scale it down, simplify the GUI, keep only the essential functions and code that instead. Maybe you can ditch the GUI idea completely and code a single threaded command line utility, or maybe you can ditch coding the downloader yourself and outsource the job to wget. You will need to make some compromises to be able to finish this thing in time.

Hope that helps.
Pallav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom