I am confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
I wanna buy a new PC on company loan. I was cribbing for an assembled PC.. but my dad's company allows us to buy only branded PCs which have to belong to their prescribed brands. The brands prescribed are:

1.IBM
2.HP
3.HCL
4.Wipro
5.Dell
6.Acer

I want to use my PC for:

1. 3D modelling, animation and complete multimedia editing including video, audio and images
2. Gaming {including HL2, Quake4 which should be future proof for atleast an year}
3. Extensive development which wud require more than 4-5 resource hungry applications running at the same time
4. The usual work like office work, mail checking etc.

Also i insisit on a 19" or 21" CRT.

I want a Linux solution as I'll install a copy WinXP i have with me{original} so i can save a few grand bucks. At the same time, I wud like to upgrade to 1GB RAM and good nVidia/ATi graphics card worth 5000-6000. My budget is Rs.35,000 - Rs.40,000

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If u are gonna buy a gphx card separately then u can jus pick up a 3.2Ghz or equivalent Intel or AMD system from any comp... u can try for 3.4 onwards too... 3.0 and 3.2 will fit smooth on yr budget for the branded PC w/o gphx card...

G

gxsaurav

go for Lenovo (IBM) or dell, they are the best workstations, cos judging by your requirment....i can say u need a workstation

atleast a 3 GHz CPU or equivalent is required. in ase of Intel go for the Pentium D 920, or 930 atleast, don't go for 820 or 830, they run hot, insted get AMD equivalent if possible, 3200+ would do for starters

Satissh S

Youngling
My friend recently bought an acer computer for home use, for around 48 or 50k
It had a 17 inches LCD monitor, intel 915 mobo (pcie) and p4 3.2 ghz proccy. 512 Mb ddr ram, 80 gb hdd, dvd-combo..
He got RHEL 4(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) OEM version for free. You may be intersted in this!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
rohan said:
I want a Linux solution as I'll install a copy WinXP i have with me{original} so i can save a few grand bucks.

If you havent installed the original XP in any machine till now only then u can install it. If this is not the case then please do read the EULA properly.

I suggest you to go for a DELL workstation.

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
thanks everybody. I conacted all the companies and have recieved replies from a few and shall be recieveing from others. Evfen i have decided on either a DELL or a Lenovo...

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
oh god... my dad just told me that they have struck of IBM and Lenovo from the list... that leaves with me DELL only...

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
I spent almost an hour on the DELL store. This is what I've come up with:

*www.geocities.com/rohan_gnome/pb_cart_full_details.htm

Please tell me what do you think. Unfortunately they don't have a Linux solution nor do they allow me to select an AMD processor... never mind..

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
If u wanna buy assembled only then do this.
Get in a contact with an assembler who also sells DELL PC. Then Ask him to give u a quotation of Rs. 5000/- more than ur budget of a DELL PC, 50000. Most probably the company will issue a payorder with the dealer's name on it. Then the dealer will take the Taxes i.e 8% in Mumbai of 50000 or the amount in payorder and give back remaining money in cash.
I have done this for many of my customers. They ask a bank for a loan of 75 K for a branded computer. I give them the 75 K quotation. Then the bank's or company's person calls me and varifies the quotation. Then I give the customer a copy of TAX Invoice which they submit. Then in a week's time I get the payorder.then....they buy 30K pc and a sofa set..
I could help u but i am in Mumbai. nething 4 u guys!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I saw the config. i think it has a older chipset maybe 865. there are more models to choose. I didnt like the mobo/processor combination

Kniwor

Learner
My advice is entirely different.....

I would suggest HP... they are the most reasonable unreasonable people out there....
they will let u choose from AMD....

i am suggesting this because u are bound to buy a branded PC.... not whatever brand u buy it´s all almost the same... they all get things from AMD, INTEL, ASUS, MSI, nVIDIA, ATI and give it to you with a warranty....
all the good ones will not try to save Rs. 20-30 on a cable here or there like zenith etc.....

but i was really dissapointed be lenovo lately... one of my friends got a notebook and i think HP could have given him a far better solution...
I was specially annoyed when i saw they used PC2700 ram in a 57000/- notebook... now that is a shame.... I mean cm´on how much difference is a PC2700 and PC3200, a 100-200Rs.... this is pathetic.... I would not suggest a lenovo atleast.... if they are trying to save like that

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
it's another problem here: 1stly the company is not allowing lenovo as it is not IBM now but was IBM formerly. 2ndly: My dad needs to get the bill b4 30th of this month for added IT value.{I didn't understand what he said... let's just consider hewants it before the 30th}. So if DELL takes time for delivery, we have no choice but to switch to hp.

@charangk: But dell offers me only 2 choices: the other is very similar with a 2.8Ghz and 433 or 533 Mhz{i don't remember} MHz FSB.

can u please tell me the motherboard they'd be giving. I'm not able to make it out.

hafees

In the zone
processor is slow,

RAM is not DDR2

HDD is not SATA and limited capacity. Go for 120/160GB SATA

spend a few hundred bucks more and buy a DVD writer instead of a Combo drive

You may opt for a good usb keyboard

theraven

Technomancer
thats a very old proccy dude :|
the alter ones are on an 800mhz fsb
and even later ones are higher !!
i think thats an 845/865 chipset which frankly sux

btw hp desktops arent bad ..
between hp and dell dont look at the brand .. see which model suits YOU The best .

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
but i have selected an 800 MHz FSB proccy.

BTW, my friend says that this is not the right time to buy a gfx card as directx 10 is coming out late this year{around nov.-dec.}. should i heed his advice or if i wait i shall keep waiting?

Kniwor

Learner
purchsing computers since a long time there is one thing i have understood....

there are a very few things worth waiting for... because there will always be things that u might want to wait for... so waiting is not a good option... as for the graphics card...

even if directx is out by the time he says.... what do u expect games on dx10 to be out the next day... no my friend... by the time games on directx10 are popular around u might already want an another gfx card... so get one now...

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
Another problem. I contacted the Dell helpline and they told me that they have disconnected the Dimension line in India. Also delivery takes 15 days so.. forget Dell. Now I'm going to an HP shop on 24th and making the final decisions. Can you please suggest me specs based on:

1. Processor (I'll go for an AMD)
2. Motherboard

thanks a lot...

@Kniwor: i thoroughly agree with you. moreover 27th this month, my board exams end.. so it's fragtime

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
I have decided to go for a Compaq Presario SR1732IL (ES034AA). Everything seems fine, except for one thing. The dealer is saying that he is not sure whether it comes with a PCI-express slot or not and hence cannot guarantee that he would be able to plug a graphics card with it. But he says that it's got PCI slot.

So.. is a PCI-express slot necessary for a gfx card(or PCI wud do) and does this model have a PCI-express.

It has the ATI RC410/SB450 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom