Hyperthreading Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomodel

Journeyman
i'm having a strange problem with a new machine i assembled for a friend. i give the config below
p4 2.8 Ghz(HT),
Asus P4P800-VM mobo(BIOS-American Megatrend),
S/S PUMA 80 GB,
Hynix 2*256 DDR 400 RAM modules.
OS is Windows XP. now the problem is that when i enable HT from the BIOS, and do some multitasking like writing a cd and doing some c programming, the machine hangs. but the problem vanishes when i disable HT support from the BIOS. i cant make any head or tail of it. no upgraded bois of the mobo has been released, so i dont think it's a bios conflict. help me guys!!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
hey i too have almost the same config (p4 2.4 asusp4p800-vm 160 gb sata hdd Hynix 2*256 DDR 400 RAM modules. and did face a similar problem so here is the solution
1. enable HT before installing win XP. (if not done pl reinstall)
2. install sp1 & sp2
3. also check the tab called enhansments in BIOS set it to PATA.
4. smooth sailing there after
regards pradeep

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
is it possible to keep a backup of my registry in a separate partition, format and reinstall the XP partition , and reimport the backup file and get back all the earlier softwares? or do i have to reinstall them whenever i reinstall XP?

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
oye, i formatted and reinstalled xp as chauhan had advised, using an sp2 friendly key. but during restarting after installing the sp2, the machine freezed during bootup after the first passage of the blue disk. i tried twice, once installing the sp2 the first thing after xp installation, and then after installing the mobo drivers. but the same problem in both cases. can you suggest a solution?
by the way, this sp2 installed correctly on my machine with an amd 2000+/a7n266-vm, running the same copy of xp with the same key.
for a reminder, the machine with the problem is
p4 2.8 GhzC HT, asus p4p800-vm, hynix 2*256mb 400 mhz ram, s/s puma 80 gb.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
hey it is not because of HT it is because of a clash of SP2 with some software installed on your system. see some threads are there to cure this problem

G

gxsaurav

I have 3.06 GHz wiht hT , no probs, I installed with a XP SP2 slipstreamed CD

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
i told you, i installed nothing except the motherboard drivers one time, and the other time not even that. how can there be a software conflict?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
ok ok dont get angry (i did not read that part ) lets see do it in a rather stupid way first install sp1a and then check the system see the stability then we will graduate to sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom