How's this config?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bit the bullet and ordered my new machine.

Here's the spec and price quote.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 754)----------INR 7,600
ASUS K8N nForce 250--------------------------INR 5,100
Hynix 1 GB (512x2) 400Mhz DDR-------------INR 5,900
Leadtek Winfast 6600GT 128MB-------------INR 10,500
DVD 16X Burner Sony (dunno model no.)--INR 5,900
iBall Grab It Cabinet---------------------------INR 1,550
Altec Lansing ATP3-----------------------------INR 3,150

VAT (4%)----------------------------------------INR 1,588
TOTAL--------------------------------------------INR 41,288

I know prices are a bit uppish, but I'm not in Mumbai, Delhi or any other
hardware mecca's in India. Am I being ripped off??

Cheers,

Keith.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Keith, do check the prices of the Sony DL DVD writer. Its way to steep IMO. Should be around the 4500 even if you arent in the metros. The rest looks ok to me.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I agree with icecoolz. I built a similar machine for a customer last week and I got a Liteon DVD-R/W for 4800/-. I used an S754 3000+, MSI K8N-FSR, 1GB, iBox Grabit, etc.... It's not a gaming machine, so I used an FX5200. Yes, the other prices look reasonable.

One note of caution. iBox cabinets look good and I often use them, but their PSU's often fail early because the power-handling components inside it (transistors, diodes, ICs) are not securely fastened to their heatsinks. The screws holding these components are not properly tightened, causing overheating and eventual failure.

Since these PSUs cost only about 500/-, I break the warranty seal, open them up and tighten the said screws. I haven't had a failure since I started doing this.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Keith Sebastian said:

Cheers,

Keith.
Nice config keith, well i would say that your are lucky cuz h/w prices are a bit unstable right now due to the vat mess-up. Gr8 deal on the leadtek card there. Also the price on the sony burner is a bit too high, mentioning the model no would have helped a bit. The processor is a bit costly though by only 300-400 bucks so you can ignore that.

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
pimpom
Since these PSUs cost only about 500/-, I break the warranty seal, open them up and tighten the said screws. I haven't had a failure since I started doing this.

Thanks, will do that.

Yeah, the burner looks a bit expensive. Will doublecheck prices on other models.

blade_runner
Gr8 deal on the leadtek card there.

Yeah, strange thing I didn't even know Leadtek made AGP 6600's. Their site has only PCI-E 6600 cards. I was looking to buy a XFX 6600 vanilla, decided on XFX 6600 GT for 11.5k as vanilla wasn't available. Later my dealer found better prices on Leadtek 6600 vanilla and GT (7.9k and 10.5k).

Here's a review on the card -
*www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=762

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
If possible go for either Kingston or Transcend RAM and do double check price for DVD burner, rest of the config looks good

krishnathelord

In the zone
@Keith Sebastian

the prices of the component are on a shaky ground now,
one can fear that prices are going up by 4%CVD imposed, but that wikk be only after the finance bill is passed, and the current instability due to vat is just a short term phenomenun.

so all in all urs is a good config (except for the price of dvd rw as every body pointed out, and one more thing go for antec cabinet they are worth it)
as of price instability just look for the shop who does not charges vat, (look and u will easily find one) :lol: 8)

satanrules

Right off the assembly line
Keith Sebastian said:

Cheers,

Keith.

8) cool man

Everything is fine but why dont u go for PCI-X Cards it is the one which is going to rule the future ................. :D

just a suggestion from me ................. :roll:

aadipa

Padawan
Cool config.....

But don't forget to add a good PSU

Powersafe VIP 400W would be good buy at Rs 1500.

So this will make a hole of another Rs 1100 in ur pocket as u will get Rs 400 off for ur PSU in iBox.

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
satanrules
Everything is fine but why dont u go for PCI-X Cards it is the one which is going to rule the future ................. Very Happy

just a suggestion from me ................. Rolling Eyes

There's no PCI-E on this mobo, would not want to spend more on one either.
Upgradability is no issue as I've never upgraded in the past 10yrs :wink: . Just get a new PC every 2 yrs or so after trading-in the old one. Same reason I didn't consider AMD socket 939.

krishnathelord
and one more thing go for antec cabinet they are worth it
shwetanshu
If possible go for either Kingston or Transcend RAM

I've owned both Antec casing and Transcend RAM in my previous PC. While Antec makes good cases, I prefer iBall for their grab-it design.

I believe Transcend memory is average at best. In Aus it's as cheap as any other generic no-name memory and has similar cas timings. While GeIL, Mushkin and Corsair are considered better performers. Why am I writing this :?: I find many people on these forums recommending Transcend over Hynix. Just like to know why :?: Warranty issues :?: Higher failure rates :?:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hynix defenitely is a mediocre RAM suited for the average home user. My Hynix RAM concked off twice in the space of a year. I right now own Kingston Memory 400 Mhz and its performance is extremely satisfactory. I personally have not tried Transcend or Corsair so wouldnt know.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Keith i personally found the ibox grabbit not good for ventilation and cooling. I'd recommend going for a different cabby, a kppl cabby or generic ones with lotsa room and case fans. Also the PSU u got with your grabbit doesnt give rated 300W, get a powersafe 500W.

The thing here in india is a lot of Hynix fakes are available so i mostly dont recommend going for Hynix memory if one cant discern the difference b/w original and duplicate memory or doesnt have the right sources. Although original hynix ram is know to oc well (for a budget ram) Also with trancend you get 3 years warranty. Geil, mushkin and corsair arent available as freely. Or i know of places where you can get hi-end ram like the xms but then they cost a bomb.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
don't buy kingston,they may not be using decent chips in india atleast as of now atleast.

best deal could be transcend and corsair can be considered @ others opinion

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
huh ? Is that why they give a 4 year warranty on all their chips ? On what basis do you say kingston arent using decent chips ? Any proof ? articles ?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hmmm like Nemesis said, The DVD Writer looks kind of expensive , I just bought one in Kerala for Rs. 4900 /- ( Sony , i can look up the model number if ya want, I buried the case somewhere :D ) . Im pretty sure it shouldnt go over that price in Metros...

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
exx_2000 said:
Hmmm like Nemesis said, The DVD Writer looks kind of expensive , I just bought one in Kerala for Rs. 4900 /- ( Sony , i can look up the model number if ya want, I buried the case somewhere :D ) . Im pretty sure it shouldnt go over that price in Metros...
Umm ! Nemesis never replied to this topic mate . :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom