how to use Thunderbird/outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
i want to know how to use thunderbird/outool to check my mails........
uptill now i used to do it at cafe` ..but now i hav connection at home so want to use these clients to check my mails......
i have installed thunderbird and tryed to config it but cant .......consider me as a complete newbe...can any one help me???

sailendra

Journeyman
Sure, I use Thunderbird. But to use an email client such as Thunderbird or outlook, you need to configure a few settings. Mainly the POP3 server and SMTP Server. The POP3 server is used to receive mail from your mail provider and SMTP server is used to send mail.
For e.g. I have an account with gawab.com - a free email provider. Their POP3 server address is pop.gawab.com and smtp server: smtp.gawab.com
Now start Thunderbird and goto Tools->Account Settings..
Click Add Account. A Wizard will popup. Since we want to setup an Email account. We select the first option and click Next.
You are asked to enter your name and email address; In my case it is Sailendra and sailendra@gawab.com
Next screen asks for the Incoming Mail server. enter the address: pop.gawab.com and click next. Next you type the username. This is usually the first part of your email address. For e.g in this case it is sailendra.
Click Next in the account name screen and Finish to save the account.
All you need to do to download mail now is to Click on Get Mail.
There are other settings in Thunderbird which u may wish to tweak to your convenience.
I make sure the "Leave messages on Server" option is ticked so that a copy of the mail I get in my inbox is retained on the server as a backup.
Most web based mail providers such as yahoo dont provide pop access for free. you can use the free Yahoo Pops program which will let you have POP access with Yahoo Mail. Similar ones exist for Hotmail.
Gawab however offers 1-2GB mail box with POP access for free

:)

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
for accessing ur hotmail and msn HTTP servers are respectively...
*services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
*oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata

if u have a yahoo.co.in id then check whether it supports pop access or not, mine does... i'm using it from last 4 years... i'm not sure about todays...

pop server is

pop.mail.yahoo.com

smtp server is

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

if ur using a gmail then, gmail is in beta and will start pop access soon (for free or for little fee) when it will be relesaed publicly....

for now u can use a tiny tool called GMail Notifier....

just google it for......

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
well thx u all.....currently i am using Indiatimes , Gmail , Fastmail ,Spymac , hotmail etc to access my mails (Sorry if i scare u :) ) but u know to mentail a large database of girls with out being caught ;) u gotto be smart...........

any ways i have thunderbird , yahoo/hotmail pop (my sincier thanks to digit team) and have d/l email2pop for gmail .........
and i am sure with so meny helping hands it will take no time for me to convert to INTown Geek :)) .......thx a lot guys.........

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
hey shail i tryed the way u told me and created 3 acc for fastmail , indiatimes.com ..but it gives me failed to connect to server pop.indiatimes.com / pop.fastmail ......wat to do ???

tuxfan

Technomancer
You need a POP3 mail account to use Thunderbird or Outlook (or any other mail client). However, most of your email accounts are not POP3

Indiatimes - doesn't allow POP3, unless you pay
Gmail - there are 3rd party tools like POPGoesGmail, but Gmail prohibits its use
Fastmail - It provides IMAP. Check its FAQ for tips on how to set up.
Spymac - I don't know
Hotmail - Its not POP3 but you can use Outlook/Outlook Express to have a pop3 like experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom