how to use system recovery in win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

uday_virgo

Broken In
i was using my laptop and the battery drained.the laptop went into hibernation.after that it did not recovered from that and gave the error

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

i have the original cd but dont know how to do the repair.
i even dont want to loose any data on my c: drive

vysakh

Padawan
boot into the cd
a question will be asked whether you want to go into the recover console
to go into the recovery console press r

raghug

Right off the assembly line
it will ask for administrator password enter it and then u will get the c:\windows> command prompt.

u didnt mention for which purpose u want to use recovery console. if u want to restore some corrupted system file, then u have to use "EXPAND" command. u can see the syntax of "EXPAND" command by typing "help expand". basic syntax is: expand souce destination. in source give the complete path of file in destination give directory where to restore it. if file already exist then rename it.

one important thing: how to locate the file u want :

in XP Cd a .dll file is represented as .dl_ and .exe as .ex_ . yes 3rd letter will be a underscore.

my reply is lengthy but hope it will b usefull to u.

bye.

rajas

In the zone
Hi Udai,

U got the very critical error for windows XP. I says critical B'coz its crashed your registry and no matter what ever you try would go in wain. Although there are 2 ways to resolve.
1) Re-Install Windows(Clean Install-no repair will work)
2) Follow the doc provided and do it correctly.(Will work)
Chk the articleHow to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Follow the article as it is and you'll see windows starting back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom