How to use Syneptic/Kyneptic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
I could not make out the method to install software through Syneptic/Kyneptic. It only lists the software installed and perhaps available in the CD of the distro. Say, the distro has OO1.1, and I have a higher version in a CD (tar ball or rpm, whatever), how syneptic can work? Or I want to add KOffice or any other software in another CD of another distro. Also through the file name only, one cannot know the name of the software. In fact I want to add all l10n and l18n of KDE, KOffice, and OOo for Hindi, Arabic/Farsi (as Urdu is not yet available) and Bengali, the languages I know to some extent. (Even other Indic languages to demonstrate the Tux Power). How can I do that??

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you are using internet connection to install packages then you need to add more repositories to synaptic from where it will fetch fresh software.
Settings >> Repositories

If you have debian DVD then also you can add it to the sources repository by,
Edit >> Add CD-ROM

Remember synaptic is just a front end for much powerful tool called APT

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
When we install any package/software through syneptic/adept package manager it download the same from net and install the same. Now I want to copy those packages in CD/DVD for future use in other ubuntu/kubyntu PC where net connection is not availabe. Can any one say in whcih directory/drive these files are stored. I checked the apt folder, but did not find any such package.

quantum

Broken In
download aptoncd software the use is simple enough and works perfectly for backing up repositories i use a rewritable disc cause their are updates going on every month

praka123

left this forum longback
we have aptonDVD for restricted codecs and Java etc in December issue wishlist :) vote for it.that way digit can help many Linux users who are still on dialup or low speed connections.

BTW,Synaptic and Kynaptic.adept package manager is used in Kubuntu afair.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
QwertyManiac said:
skghosh44 ... Didn't I already recommend AptOnCD to you?

Anyway the files are in /var/cache/apt/archives
Sorry, and thanks to you. Actually I got puzzled because somewhere praka123 adviced me to copy the apt folder for the package, that was in mine mind and I search all the the apt folder and got puzzled.
Ok now I will keep in mind the folder /var/cache/apt/archives.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
praka123 said:
^ i too told u the same dir :p

You told me to copy the "apt" dir to CD, you are right. But due to lack of knowledge I could not found the proper apt dir. On searching I found the /etc/apt dir where there is no any package and on searching and searching I got puzzled and hence again I ask the forum member for the exact location.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom