How to use Automatic System Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
I would like to know how many floppy disks are required for backing up using the Automatic System Restore? How to backup and compressed the files on a CD?

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Sir, Automatic System Restore for Windows xp doesnt require any backup. It simply uses the space reserved on your hard disk to store entries, which it later uses to restore, incase required.
If you dont have additional hard disk space, windows automatically disables system restore since it asks for reserved space of about 1GB by default.

OP
H

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
correction

I'm so sorry, what I mean is Automated System Recovery(ASR) and not Automatic system restore. When I tried to backup my system files using ASR it keep on asking me to insert floppy disk even after I used 3 floppies. My computer configuration is P4, 3ghz with 512MB DDR RAM and 120 GB of HD. The file system is NTFS. Lately I also found that the HD free space shown in C: has decreased even when I simply restart the computer without adding or installing anything new. What could have been the problem? By the way this forum is really incredible.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
You should have made it clear before. Anyways, the floppy which it is asking for are Recovery Diskettes (probably :roll: ), which are used to save your system settings. (You cant ask it to save all your data in just floppies :idea:)
The disk space has reduced because the backup program saves all the data to your Hard disk itself & maybe you cannot see it because it maybe hidden.

Reply for any other queries as well.
Savvy!

OP
H

H.Lalnunmawia

Broken In
Thank you. I have a sound(pun not intended) problem. I have a Philips Hi Fi 5.1 Multimedia Home Theatre speaker and recently only the subwoofer, centre and front speaker could give out the sound when I play music or video(I test the sorround sound using AC97 audio configuration also but with the same result even after switching the speaker settings). The rear speaker could not give out any sound even after I insert the rear speaker line to the line in jack on the back of the CPU ( Since I use Tv turner card I use to switch the two). The wire comes with colour so I think I'm not making mistake with the input/output jack connection. I wonder if the software I'am using is not supporting the speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom