How to start writing GNOME/KDE application

Status
Not open for further replies.

sganesh

Journeyman
Hi
I am interested in Developing /writing GNOME/KDE Application thro GNU softwares, ,i found Anjuta IDE found to be more applicable for dveloping GNOME application,but i found its much difficult to start with,PL help me in giving link for some sample programs?Pl share us your LINUX devlopment?How to start?
Any ideas or suggestion?Is there any tutorial for such?
Thanks in advance!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Choose a language and a toolkit to work with.

KDE uses Qt, while Gnome/Xfce use GTK+.
Both toolkits have a wide range of language bindings.

*www.gtk.org/language-bindings.html

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
if you are talking about GUI programming u need to learn GTK or Qt
if u know only C the GTK cos QT got no bindings for C afaik.
if u know some others like python,c++ IMO Qt is better.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Glade is an interface designer, it lets you create GTK+ UI's that can then be deployed using C/C++/Java or whatever.

OP
sganesh

sganesh

Journeyman
Thanks,But in net i found many Ebooks onGNome GUI programming only at cost!!
But i need free tutorials,resources or ebook which guides me in programming,i am unable to find it!!!
pl Help!

Thanks,But in net i found many Ebooks onGNome GUI programming only at cost!!
But i need free tutorials,resources or ebook which guides me in programming,i am unable to find it!!!
pl Help!
WTH ? There are LOTS of free ebooks available. Go and check glade's own website.
And see gnome doccumentation.

These interface designers help you place widgets on windows. Then they generate source code.

For a shortcut, with old fashioned text coding, use gtkmm.h headder file in C++. You can use its objects in your program as you like.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Yes, you would have to learn gtk , there is java-gnome project that offers an api for java.

You could also learn swt -Standard Widget Toolkit for java, which draws native widgets , unlike swing which tries to emulate the look-and-feel.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
^^but why?? dont u have a platform independent VM ?? Why wont swings work in Linux???

Ps: Coding in java will be independent of kde/gnome ?? wont it be??

ray|raven

Think Zen.
SWT is platform independent.

If you code with gtk , you will need gtk installed for the app to run.
Swing will work in linux, But the UI emulates the gtk look.
However , its getting quite close to the real thing.

So we will have the speed advantage if using gtk??
doubt it. but personally speaking, I think its better to stick to native java instead of a gtk skin for java.
and gtk itself is in C. gtk-java is just a way to use gtk widgets and program with them in java.

And if you need something more professional that blends with gtk, why don't you try wxWidgets ?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Metal
SWT is a waay better way of getting a native ui using java than using wxwidgets.

@nitish
Java Gnome provides the api of using gtk widgets through java.
*java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom