how to shutdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandit

In the zone
sob..... i started using linux recently..... the suse (one of the slightely older dunno which) and am totaly new to it.... can anyone tell me how to shutdown?????? in the start button there is only log off......whuch returns me to the log in screen ..not shutdown....plz help i have to press the power button on the cpu to turn off.......Helppppppppppppppppppp..:-?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
AFAIK, the log out option in the launch menu is the only way you can shutdown a KDE run Linux machine. Look carefully and you should find the options to shutdown, Restart and Log off.

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm...power button is for emergency. SHuts down the machine when the system is heavily loaded and is not responding quickly.
Neways logoff takes u to shutdown menu!! To shutdown open root terminal and write " shutdown -h now ". Ur done !!
To restart type "shutdown -r now"!
Problem solved!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Also when you come to the login screen. Check the bottom part. There should be Shutdown/Reboot/ or some such options. Just explore a bit you should find it.

dabster

In the zone
Is it possible that we directly get all options(Restart/shutdown/logoff) to choose when we click logout ,
I suppose that it is possible but dunno how to do it....
Kubuntu has similar thing,
geeks out here find how to do that....

dabster

In the zone
@pathiks: I hope that wudnt be changing to Mandriva for this thing...
If any body knows hot to add that option in kmemu itself, plz post...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Open the Terminal Window and type:
First login as Root
$ su -
(Enter password )
$ telinit 0
(ie., telinit followed by zero '0')
Press the Enter key.
This will shutdown your Suse Linux O.S. This will work in any Linux!!
Similarly 'telinit 6' will reboot your System (similar to 'reboot' command).

eddie

El mooooo
The problem here is that you guys are either not using a display manager or using something other than KDM. For the shutdown options to appear under KDE logoff screen, you people HAVE to use KDM with KDE. You cannot use GDM, XDM (or any other display manager) and get the shutdown options.

If you use GDM and KDE then the only "graphical" way to shutdown is to return to display manager and shutdown from there. Oh and please don't use the power button, you will corrupt your file system and screw the whole OS.

dabster

In the zone
@pathiks: dear lad Mandrake is now Mandriva.....plz hinder posting msg which are more like sms and that too of nobody's help....

@jguru: u didn't get me....the answer u gave has already been given by many people see kalpik's and all....

@eddie: Yes u are right i am using gdm right now, but don't know how to use KDM as my display manager....Can u tell me that....
In which conf file i have to make changes...
Thanks in Advance.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Do the following
Code:
su
nano /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm
This should work.
This link may help for Suse *gershwin.ens.fr/vdaniel/Doc-Locale/Outils-Gnu-Linux/Kde/kdm/index-2.html
See this link for FC *www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/60020-switching-gdm-kdm-how-fedora.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom