How to save eMails on HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmads

Journeyman
Hi all...

I would appreciate your inputs on the following issue:

I have Hotmail and Indiatimes accounts and I receive a lot of docs in zip file attachments which I like to save on HDD for later use. At the same time I would to remove them from my eMail account to empty my available web space. The zip docs are saved in a separate folder in My Documents but they open with a browser. I cannot figure out the format of these files. I would like to use them as independant files and not as web page. Please help

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
install 7zip from www.7-zip.org. That should open the zip files.

I guess that is what you meant by zip 'docs' (it is files actually, but let that pass) As for cleaning your inbox, download those attachments and delete those mails.

Good luck with the install.

tuxfan

Technomancer
All .zip files will be as attachments in mails. Download and save the attachments!! After that delete the mails from the server and it will also delete the attachments.

What's the problem? Am I missing something in your query?

bukaida

In the zone
What is your OS? winXP does not need any separate zip utility.It should work fine.Else install winzip or WinRAR (Both given in any of the digit issue).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Even I can't get your query exactly. But, from what I get is that you are downloading mails and they open with your browser.
That is because you save them as we pages. You will have to save them as text to open with notepad.

OP
H

harmads

Journeyman
At the outset thanks friends for the inputs, and sorry for the lingo messup !!

Yes tech_your_future did get me right and thanks for that. My OS is Win98. I have a WinZip. Now I receive some digitally signed contract notes in Zip file attachment, to open or save the same it goes thru 2-3 steps of 'next' s and then after Endorser and Mailer it opens as a web page. Of course it is printable. But I guess the file is a HTML format.. can it be coverted to a simple text file at the time of saving without upsetting its formatting..

Thanks

tuxfan

Technomancer
You can open an HTML file in MS-Word or OpenOffice Writer and save as .doc or .odt. Then format it the way you want it and print it. ;)

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I think you should do the following.
1 On the attachment right click and save as and save them to your directory of choice.

2 delete the email.

I hope this serves your question

If the zip files are being are being opened by another application, reinstall the application used for opening zip files or change the file assocation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom