how to remove bad sectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somashekar

Broken In
I have 40 GB HDD in which warranty is over.It has got only 1.22 MB of BAd sectors just i want remove this through software.Pls give me solution.

Thanks

Somashekr

shariq_pj

Broken In
Bad sectors are physical damage to the disk and they cannot b removed usin softwares... Bad sectors tend to double up wth continuous usage and u'll eventually end up havin more bad sectors... :roll:

Better go in for a new HDD...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well, download diagnostic utilities from the manufacterer's website. it will scan and remap the bad sectors to spare sectors on the hdd, if possible. if not then you can do nothing about it!

ghemant

Broken In
Bad Sector

Hi,
True as said , run diagnostic from OEM's DISK and then as if required format your HDD (LL) .

:)
Regards

shariq_pj

Broken In
Re: Bad Sector

ghemant said:
Hi,
True as said , run diagnostic from OEM's DISK and then as if required format your HDD (LL) .

Regards

Does'nt formatting increase the bad sectors...?

knight17

In the zone
Bad sectors

shariq_pj said:
Bad sectors are physical damage to the disk and they cannot b removed usin softwares... Bad sectors tend to double up wth continuous usage and u'll eventually end up havin more bad sectors... :roll:

Better go in for a new HDD...

Yeah agreed :arrow: .Bad sectors are physically formed and cant be corrected using softaware.

ghemant

Broken In
Re: Bad Sector

Hi,
shariq_pj said:
ghemant said:
Hi,

Regards

Does'nt formatting increase the bad sectors...?

LL = Low Level Format , and low level formate creates a physical sectors .

Regards

Baroon

Broken In
Formatting has something to do with bad sector. I have already solved few situation where bad sector has gone after formatting a hard drive.

Sometimes there is possibility that certain sector got corrupted from cross linked files, simply corruption of filesystem, which cause that sector to be renderless and OS show them as bad sector. This sometimes is not corrected after running through scan of your disk.

Reformatting filesystem, i.e, your hard disk partition containing bad sector might help you out. If this doesn't work out, then surely there is physical damage to platter. In this case use OEM tool to correct them.

jay4u

In the zone
In short there are two types of bad sectors...
1. logical
2. physical

logical bad sectors will go away once u format the drive

physical bad sector cannot be repaired.... but one can use tools like SEATOOLS and DISCWIZARD to fill the bad sectors with zero's and make them unavailable for OS to use it......

So dude us ethe mentioned software and believe me ... they are life savers.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Baroon said:
In this case use OEM tool to correct them.

the utility won't "correct" them! it will only remap the bad sectors to spare sectors if available!

jay4u said:
1. logical
2. physical

logical bad sectors!!???! :roll: that's not the correct tech term to use! there is nothing as "logical" bad sectors! if its a bad sector...it has to be an unusable "physical" bad sector!!!

softhunterdevil

Journeyman
Bad sectors are 2 types
1.software (virus, worm) created
2.physical damage
sometimes the first one can get converted to the second one if ignored for long time
better download a related software using google search
if the problem is physical
consult with your computer provider
they hv machines to clear up bad sectors
some bad sectors may not be cleaned
they hv to be ignored

try out software fast
dey will nt damage anything

shariq_pj

Broken In
softhunterdevil said:
Bad sectors are 2 types
1.software (virus, worm) created
2.physical damage
sometimes the first one can get converted to the second one if ignored for long time

How's that...? :shock: :shock: :shock:

softhunterdevil

Journeyman
Ya ! I am shocked :shock: to read dat 2
Actuall there is a slight mistake :!:

1.Temporary bad sector - Software created
2.Parmanent BAd sector - Physical damage

It can happen dat the part you r hving software created bad sector can loose its capability of storing data and can become parmanent bad sector and not as a physical damage. You also shud understand, utimately its the flow of electrons that decides evrything. So electromagnetic damage with a software can be a parmanent damage like a physical damage...

Hope you will understand :roll:

softhunterdevil

Journeyman
Baroon wrote:
In this case use OEM tool to correct them.

the utility won't "correct" them! it will only remap the bad sectors to spare sectors if available!

jay4u wrote:
1. logical
2. physical

logical bad sectors!!???! that's not the correct tech term to use! there is nothing as "logical" bad sectors! if its a bad sector...it has to be an unusable "physical" bad sector!!!

Logical bad sector is an universally accepted term and those who are denying it please do a google search*www.google.com/search?hs=Y6J&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=Logical+bad+sector&btnG=Search

Dats it!

shariq_pj

Broken In
softhunterdevil said:
It can happen dat the part you r hving software created bad sector can loose its capability of storing data and can become parmanent bad sector and not as a physical damage. You also shud understand, utimately its the flow of electrons that decides evrything. So electromagnetic damage with a software can be a parmanent damage like a physical damage...

Man... Is that ur perception or do u hav nay proof...? I don't think that's the case...

knight17

In the zone
Bad sectors are marked by software such as scandisk. As the program is testing the data occasionally it hits an area on the disk that cannot normally be read - hence it marks it as 'bad'

Normally these are horrendous things that cannot be removed as they are actual physical imperfections on the disk - be wary that if these show up during scans, your disk may be approaching the end of it's life, backup and check frequently!

However, scandisk and programs of that ilk are not perfect and occasionally they will mark sectors as bad when they aren't. A few programs will check for this (I do not know of any offhand, though) - but I do know that Format will do it when formatting a drive. You have to supply the parameter to test bad clusters, though (/C or /T)

Note: Scandisk marks bad sectors so that the Operating system no longer uses the clusters. In essence it's a safeguard so that no data gets lost.

Hope that helps... basically, bad sectors are bad - they are physical, but marked logically on the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom