How To Remove 90% of Internet Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Cool

Broken In
Do those Ads annoy you ? Does the sight of Google Ads make you red?
If you'd like to remove them, you can use Opera to go about it.

What you need
Before continuing, you will need the list of ads to block out. The list can be found here.

What you need to do:
  • Open up the folder where you have installed Opera (usually C:\Program Files\Opera\ ).
  • Navigate to the Profile folder ( C:\Program Files\Opera\profile )
  • Make sure you have closed Opera before continuing
  • Open the urlfilter.ini file and paste the entire contents beginning from [exclude] to the end.
  • Save and Close the file.

NOTE:
  • Always keep a backup of the file before editing it.
  • The list given above only helps to blockout public ads (that is those provided by a network such as Google). To block ads hosted on a site, use the Block Content option (right click any empty area in the site and block out images/flash etc.)

Please note that this is a tutorial for Opera. There are other tutorials for Firefox and/or plugins which we are not concerned about here in this post. Please don't start a Firefox vs. Opera war here.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Mention the source,
Source: *www.technobeta.com/posts/opera-ads/

kiran c Mr.Cool's signature it shows most probably this site belongs to him so i don't think he need to mention source ....

www.technobeta.com

Before marriage, a man Yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the \'Y\' becomes silent.

OP
Mr.Cool

Mr.Cool

Broken In
ashisharya said:
good way to promote ur site

Sigh! My Blog's already getting sufficient hits a day. Take a look.

forever said:
atleast give it up for the guy , its a very useful thing , good job brother

Thanks :) Atleast you understand. I posted this cause I want people to shift to Opera and see its benefits. I'm a big Opera fan you see :)

OP
Mr.Cool

Mr.Cool

Broken In
Yes Indyan is right...

Tamil has updated his page with the TechnoBeta link.

And i have made a new entry with his links.
Check it out: *www.technobeta.com/posts/new-ads-list-for-opera/

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
^
Browse through your OS install partition correspondingly. You need to enable showing hidden system files from Folder Options.

G:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile

blackpearl

The Devil
The urlfilter.ini file is not present by default. First open any website with opera, click on Tools>Advanced>Block Contents and then block any ad or picture on the website. Once you do that the urlfilter.ini file will be generated. Now you can add the filter list to the file.

I've been using Opera for long and I love it. :)

ahref

In the zone
I already read the post in your blog. You are in my feedreader. Anyway no use for me as I do not use opera.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Had been using adblock in firefox since long coz I didnt knw opera also has same feature... trying it out.. thnx all 4 useful info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom