how to reformat & partition the HDD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

v_joy

Journeyman
hi,
My computer has become very slow & sluggish & fully crammed up!
So i want to reformat my HDD & make new partitions for proper management of data.
Please tell me how to do it through dos ( ie without using any third party softwares)
I want to install MS Windows XP pro in drive "C" while rest partitions will be uced for storing data.

PS : Being an amature, please send me instructions step by step.

my configuration is as follows :

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 2.80 GHz
800 MHz. Socket 478
80 GB samsung HDD @7200 rpm
Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF based system
OS version Windows XP
Physical memory 768,744 KB RAM
Memory speed DDR400
Memory type DDR, Synchronous
Form factor DIMM
BIOS version P13 (BF86510A.86A.0053.P13.0401220953)

PS : for which type shall i go for ? FAT32 or NFTS ?
why?
BTW how many types of nfts r there???
any other suggestions???

PLEASE HELP ME.
THANK YOU!!

v_joy : vs_cooldude@yahoo.com

ashfame

Padawan
1. backup all ur data u need
2. insert the win xp bootable cd in drive
3. reboot
4. boot from cd
5. delete all partitions
6. create partitions in ntfs, configure partitions of ur size (very easy, once u reach it u will be able to do it)
7. install OS on C partition & u r done

NOTE:
ntfs are better than fat32 coz they utilize space efficiently, are stable.

Get back if u need to ask more

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
okie
But my present os is MS WIN XP Pro with 4 partitions(4 x 20 GB ) each of type FAT 32 thats why i wanted fat32 system.
Actually i dont have any knowledge on nfts or how is it better than fat32.
Thanx for your suggestion & i'll see to it!

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
As this tthread is dealing with what i want ..asking it here....and not making a new thread....

I am thinking of formattong my 120 gb drive...
Now i have some questions
=>i want to know is there any s/w with which i can backup my game FOLDERS and other s/w which i have installed.....means i do not want to backup full drive but folders.....and after restoring they should work normally under newly installed windows XP... ;)

=>can norton ghost help in backing up only folders form differnt drives???

=> Does NTFS any problems with s/w or games???

PLEASE DO REPLY SOON

alienspiesu

Journeyman
here is the whole procedure....
pretty simple try it out..
FDISK Tutorial

The Basics of Fdisk:
Primary partitions are the only one that are bootable. They're always the C: drive when active. Normally you can only have one (more with some special tricks etc.) Extended partitions are needed when you want more than one partition. You can only have ONE Extended partition. Logical Drives come into the Extended partition. They are handy since you know that you can only have one Primary and one Extended so you can get more than only two partitions. They would be your D:, E:, etc. drives.

First you need to reboot your system with the Boot Disk inserted.

1.At the A: prompt start "FDISK."

2.If asked to use Large Disc support say Yes.

3.The first screen looks like this:

Create Dos Partition or Logical Drive
Set Active Partition
Delete Partitions or Logical DOS Drives
Display Partition Information
Change current fixed drive. (In case you have two or more Hard Drivess)
So, to prepare you hopefully did a backup from your data. You did, didn't you ?!

4.Next we need to remove the existing partitions. So go to 3.

5.Next screen like this:

Delete Primary DOS
Delete Extended DOS
Delete Logical Drives
Delete Non-DOS
Delete always in the following order

Logical (All) > Extended > Primary (Last)

6.Go back to first screen after all partitions have been removed.

7.Now we need to setup our new partitions. Go to 1.

This screen looks like this:

Create Primary DOS
Create Extended DOS
Create Logical DOS Drives
Here we create in the following order

Primary > Extended > Logical Drives.

8.First create the Primary. If asked to use all space say No and enter the amount you wish for the C: drive. It should be set automatically to be the (only) Active partition. If not it may ask you or you have to select "2. Set active partition" from the main menu.

9.Next create the Extended Partition. Use all space left.

It probably advances automatically to the next step, creating the Logical DOS Drives.

10.Enter the amount you wish for the D: partition and than the rest for the third partition.

Think first about the size for the partitions.

OK now we're finished with FDISK so just exit it. Next you need to reboot with the disc still inserted and Format all partitions (the C: partition might need to be formatted with "format c: /s", check the Win95 tip). Another reboot and you can go ahead and install Windows.

When your system supports booting from CD just insert the Windows CD and reboot. The setup will start.

If not, follow these steps:

Win98: insert Boot Disk and CD, reboot, choose "2. boot with CDROM support" and once you're at the prompt change to your CD-drive letter (depends on your partition setup) and enter "setup".
Win95: You must format the C: partition with "Format C: /s"!. Next install your CDROM driver, reboot, insert the Win95 CD, change to the CD-driveletter, enter "setup".
I hope I made no mistakes.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
And how to make partitions in a new HDD??? I mean what things needs to done before a new HDD can be used????

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
wizrulz said:
As this tthread is dealing with what i want ..asking it here....and not making a new thread....

I am thinking of formattong my 120 gb drive...
Now i have some questions
=>i want to know is there any s/w with which i can backup my game FOLDERS and other s/w which i have installed.....means i do not want to backup full drive but folders.....and after restoring they should work normally under newly installed windows XP... ;)

=>can norton ghost help in backing up only folders form differnt drives???

=> Does NTFS any problems with s/w or games???

PLEASE DO REPLY SOON

u can backup only s/w and games but some of them might not work......

Coz they may not link themselves to the OS...

No...NTFS does not effect the games....and now u should formatt it in NTFS..coz its better...
NTFS drives get less fragmented etc. etc.

champ_rock

champ_rock
Primary partitions are the only one that are bootable. They're always the C: drive when active. Normally you can only have one (more with some special tricks etc.) Extended partitions are needed when you want more than one partition. You can only have ONE Extended partition. Logical Drives come into the Extended partition. They are handy since you know that you can only have one Primary and one Extended so you can get more than only two partitions. They would be your D:, E:, etc. drives.

were'nt there 4 primary partitions????? and unlimited extended partitions?????

please correct me if i am wrong

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
samrulez said:
u can backup only s/w and games but some of them might not work......

Coz they may not link themselves to the OS...

No...NTFS does not effect the games....and now u should formatt it in NTFS..coz its better...
NTFS drives get less fragmented etc. etc.

Any good s/w for backing up FOLDERS and not drive

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
wizrulz said:
Any good s/w for backing up FOLDERS and not drive
Well, all u need to do is save all the player profiles and other setting files/files that u've added after the original game was installed like mods,mutators,skins etc. and delete the rest. Next, compress these files and burn them on a CD/DVD.
And finally, reformat windows and reinstall ur GAME,appy all the patches hat u had previously, and then put those burned files back in place. Basically, this depends more on the game type and varies with the game :)

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
MysticHalo said:
Well, all u need to do is save all the player profiles and other setting files/files that u've added after the original game was installed like mods,mutators,skins etc. and delete the rest. Next, compress these files and burn them on a CD/DVD.
And finally, reformat windows and reinstall ur GAME,appy all the patches hat u had previously, and then put those burned files back in place. Basically, this depends more on the game type and varies with the game :)

thats the point.....what if i do not want to reinstall game agian...as i have lsot some cds....adn nos of games i will have to reinstall is too BIG....so will new installed windows copy be OKAY with the backed up folder games or say any s/w.......any solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom