How to reduce the size of an MP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello!
I recently bought a Sony Ericsson W550i Walkman and it is a great phone and very very appropriately priced. However, the most major drawback that it has is that it does not support expandable memory.
Therefore, I want to make good use of the 256 MB provided. Can you guys please suggest a good method of reducing the size of MP3s? And how much quality will be lost in the process, if any?
Thanks! :)

vishalbhatia

Journeyman
Using any mp3 encoder rip the songs from cds or
convert others to this format:

Format: Mp3 CBR
Bitrate: 64 Kbps
SampleRate: 22.050 KHz
Channels: Sterio
Sterio Mode: Joint Stereo

It will give you a fair quality with very less file size.

G

gxsaurav

don't use mp3 anymore for playback on mobile phones

insted use either Nero or dBPoweramp to convert the mp3 to mp4 files, although the quality is subjective, U will be able to get the quality of 128 kbps mp3 by a 80 kbps mp4, or even 64 kbps in some cases, but keep the sample rate at 44.1 KHz

if u r using nero, then make sure U disable the AAC flag, also check with difference which setting gives u the best quality

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
gxsaurav Very true .. mp4 is better to use on mobiles, .ogg is even better but It will not run on W800i (correct me if I am wrong).. So .. convert to mp4 format 64kbps at 44.1 KHz

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
btw w550i supports aac. try that format.

use this software (dietmp3) to slim ur mp3s:
*www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000037130

it does the same thing as dbpoweramp but the interface is very user friendly.

fenil_4400

Right off the assembly line
Need Information for nokia 6670

i just bought nokia 6670 and i have 256 mb mmc card now i want to load ong into it o tell me how to do it & also how to convert large size songs into small,also can somebody provide antivirus s/ws.

prash007

Journeyman
For the anti virus...u can use: :)

Fsecure Anti-virus .... www.F-Secure.com <*www.F-Secure.com>

As for the large mp3 files...u can convert the rate of the song to 96kbps or 64kbps. This wud do. It wud reduce a 4mb file to 3mb and 2mb resp. The conversion can be done using music match jukebox (its given in one of the digit cds few issues back). also its free...
Or any other simple convertor wud do.... :wink:

vishalbhatia

Journeyman
Re: Need Information for nokia 6670

fenil_4400 said:
i just bought nokia 6670 and i have 256 mb mmc card now i want to load ong into it o tell me how to do it & also how to convert large size songs into small,also can somebody provide antivirus s/ws.

Well 6670 comes with bundled Anti-Virus application from F-Secure.
Download free from their official site. Just follow the link below:
*mobile.f-secure.com/nokia/6670/

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
don't use mp3 anymore for playback on mobile phones

insted use either Nero or dBPoweramp to convert the mp3 to mp4 files, although the quality is subjective, U will be able to get the quality of 128 kbps mp3 by a 80 kbps mp4, or even 64 kbps in some cases, but keep the sample rate at 44.1 KHz

if u r using nero, then make sure U disable the AAC flag, also check with difference which setting gives u the best quality
The WALKMAN application in the SE WALKMAN PHONES only recognises MP3 and AAC files as audio files. MP4 files are recognised as video files.

infra_red_dude said:
btw w550i supports aac. try that format.

use this software (dietmp3) to slim ur mp3s:
*www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000037130

it does the same thing as dbpoweramp but the interface is very user friendly.
Which software will help me convert files to the AAC format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom