How to recover Windows Bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
I use Win Xp home,win98se n fedora core 1.What happened is after recovering grub loader the DOS .i.e, windows didn't booted.Screen just flickered and came back to Grub.I tried to restore winxp bootloader from it's bootable CD and ran the command bootcfg /rebuild. it showed disk error n my PC isn't booting n stops showing this error.What to do Guyz...?Help me

[deXter]

Journeyman
Just use the two additional commands from the recovery console of your XP setup disk:

fixboot
fixmbr

Of course, the good ol' fdisk /mbr command should work too (if you have a 9x boot disk)

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
No yaar,those two commands didn't worked.also I tryed to reinstall XP but after copying n detecting my hardware when it wanted to restart and ask 4 key...........same error..........i.e, Disk error came.
I have no 9x bootable CD.But the backup is stored in the hard disk.But when I tried to access it (In coomand prompt of Winxp bootable CD), it showed Access Denied.So i can't even boot into windows since i don't even have a bootable diskette.Can anyone tell me a link to download bootable diskette(Contents) 4 9x n XP.
Is there any other commands or solution to correect the bootloader.

krish

Journeyman
What you can do is, boot from the win xp bootable CD & go to the Recovery console by pressing R at the first prompt. Then run the commands there as told by deXter. This will install the XP's boot loader to the MBR. Then use your Linux CD's to install Grub.

krish

Journeyman
Hey got this matter on other thread to install Grub after the recovery of XP.
Thread
Problem with Redhat linux 10

Author

Here's what u can do
To bring back the GRUB loader, just boot from the 1st Fedora CD and go on as if you are installing it for the first time. It will recognise that Fedora is already installed and give you an option to load GRUB only without disturbing the existing installations.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
if u hv lost entries in windows bootloader then in recovery console use this commands...

bootcfg /scan
(this will scan ur hard drive for existing windows installations)

bootcfg /add
(to manually add a windows installation)

bootcfg /rebuild
(to rebuild the boot sector)

bootcfg /default
(to assign one installtion as default boot)

Then when finished... use this

fixmbr

to fix the MBR....

then

exit to reboot....

this must solve the problem.... if not then let us know ;
good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom