How to recover 2 GB space that HDD takes

Status
Not open for further replies.

choudang

Padawan
as all we know that if we have a 40 GB HDD, we will get 38GB and in 80GB, we get 76GB of space.

so. can we recover that 2GB space from the HDD and use them? is there any method to use that space? or ny s/w.

theraven

Technomancer
omg what is WRONG WITH U! ????
windows sees 1mb = 1024 kb
and 1gb = 1024 mb

but hard disk maufacturers rate according to 1 mb = 1000kb and 1gb = 1000mb
theres no loss of space here :|

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
So its actually a 38gb drive wrongly stated as a 40gb one. Right?
So maybe its possible to sue a harddisk manufacturer in the consumer forum! and earn some cash ;)

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No you can't sue them. The HDD manufacturers are using the decimal giga, whereas what you are talking about is the binary giga. It is confusing because ram manufacturers and s/w companies use the binary giga. Believe me, if this was a sue-able point, the americans would've made sure of bankrupting the companies first.

I also heard ntfs reserves around 12.5% of partition space for it's MFT. So that's shud be a loss of usable hdd space too.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
siriusb said:
No you can't sue them. The HDD manufacturers are using the decimal giga, whereas what you are talking about is the binary giga. It is confusing because ram manufacturers and s/w companies use the binary giga. Believe me, if this was a sue-able point, the americans would've made sure of bankrupting the companies first.

I also heard ntfs reserves around 12.5% of partition space for it's MFT. So that's shud be a loss of usable hdd space too.

My 80 GB HDD is NTFS partitioned and its three partitions total to 76.6 GB.

V.Prem Kumar

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
janitha/prem kumar,
I do't know much about it, but I believe this reserved space is not used until other parts of the hdd is filled with data first. Much like the 10 (or 20?)% reserved bandwidth for qos.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
siriusb said:
janitha/prem kumar,
I do't know much about it, but I believe this reserved space is not used until other parts of the hdd is filled with data first. Much like the 10 (or 20?)% reserved bandwidth for qos.

I also know even less about it, I just stated the capacity as shown in the Windows so that somebody will clarify further about your observation.

with regards,
V.Prem kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom