How to play audio & video on any linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizerd

Broken In
hi there,
i am frusted by trying & trying but nothing happens.
Is there any way i can play MP3,MP4,MP5,WMA,OGG,MPEG,MPEG4,RAW,RM,RAM,ETC. in any kind of linux i am using with out any trouble?
Also the song i want to play are not original?
conversion of Wav to mp3/rm?

ALL THIS SHOULD BE DONE IN ANY KIND OF LINUX(redhat,suse,knopix,linspire,etc)?

Satissh S

Youngling
You should install CODEC's and players to be able to play mp3 and similar formats in linux. Most linux distros natively support only ogg vorbis file format. The easiest way to play all of your mp3 files with the least possible downloading is by using the realplayer for linux. D/L it here

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Install xmms from xmms.org for audio..its one of best out there or beep media player , its based on xmms but very light on resources and a pretty small download...

For video vlc is the best..It plays all formats...

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
My VLC doesn't support some file types. like rmvb, some wmv. But there is a player on my computer which plays every type of movie format i've ever tried.

MPLAYER.

The only minuses are lack of DVD Menu support and inability to switch to various audio/video/subtitle tracks in a decrypted vob file. I use VLC for that.

Satissh S

Youngling
@naveen: sweet :D

@desert: Xine fully installed with all codecs and pluggins seriously rocks, you have to try it to believe. I get menu support in Di9it T2 DVD and it plays virtually any file format i have (even xvid!!). It even plays ripped of dvd movies which i did using dvd-shrink on wine, ;) . The skins are cool too!! :) :p

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@Satish: xine is indeed a great tool, I just didn't like it's interface. Thats all. So i've only xine-libs installed on my PC, no xine-ui.

My Abyss skin for mplayer rocks too!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Satish how are you able to get plugins for xine. Whenever i try I just get server busy. You got any alternative location?
BTW replyign to original query. Doesn't debian play most of the formats requireed by him out of the box?

Satissh S

Youngling
Gentoo portages had xine pluggins and skins, except a few which were in testing ofcourse.
But neways messed up without a few useflags and reinstalled xine.
Here is the enttire CVS- Xine Repos from source forge :p
*cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xine/

praka123

left this forum longback
Debian,Ubuntu,Mepis etc have mp3 supported by default.there are repositories which contains many extra packages automatically installable if configured through apt-get=apt-setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom