How to open boot.ini file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilthomas26

In the zone
I am using Windows 98.I want to modify the "boot.ini" file.But i couldnt find the file.I have selected the "Show hidden files" in the folder options dialoge box .Then I searched the C: drive and still iI couldnt find the file.
Help me please to find the boot.ini file

sailendra

Journeyman
anilthomas26 said:
I am using Windows 98.I want to modify the "boot.ini" file.But i couldnt find the file.I have selected the "Show hidden files" in the folder options dialoge box .Then I searched the C: drive and still iI couldnt find the file.
Help me please to find the boot.ini file

If you have Windows 98 as the only OS installed, then there will be no boot.ini file anywhere. However if you have installed windows 2000 or xp after installing windows 98 then you can find the boot.ini in your root directory of the boot drive.

anomit

In the zone
sailendra said:
If you have Windows 98 as the only OS installed, then there will be no boot.ini file anywhere. However if you have installed windows 2000 or xp after installing windows 98 then you can find the boot.ini in your root directory of the boot drive.

He is right. It is present only in Windows NT, 2000 and XP.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
If I remember correctly, you can edit the main system files in msconfig itself. It's possible in XP, not sure about 98. Anyway give it a try:

Start -> Run and type msconfig -> Ok. See if there's a boot.ini tab.

saROMan

QA Juggler
well msconfig does'nt have the boot.ini file in 98 .....its sysedit

start->run->sysedit->boot.ini

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Go to the Folder Options menu in the Windows Explorer. Uncheck the "Hide system files/folders" and then close the explorer.

Fire it up again and then visit C: and then you'll ENJOY !

Happy tweaking !

abhishek_734

Broken In
IF YOU WANT TO EDIT THE BOOT.INI FILE THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO DISABLE
THE READ ONLY ATTRIBUTE BY GOING INTO PROPERTIES OF THE FILE.ALSO YOU WON'T FIND THIS FILE IF YOU HAVE ONLY WIN 98.YOU WILL FIND IT ONLY IF YOU HAVE WIN 2000 OR LATER.AND IT IS PRESENT IN THE BOOT DRIVE ONLY THAT IS C DRIVE EVEN IF TOU HAVE INSTALLED WIN 2000 OR LATER IN SOME OTHER DRIVES LIKE D OR E ETC. THIS FILE IS HIDDEN.IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SEE THE FILE BY SELECTING "SHOW SYSTEM FILE" TRY SELECTING "SHW HIDDEN SYSTEM FILES " TOO.

q3_abhi

Youngling
Follow this procedure:
1. Start Ms-dos prompt.
2.Go to C:>\Windows
3. type "edit boot.ini".
4. Press enter key to continue
5. U r done!!!

D

Deleted member 5901

q3_abhi said:
Follow this procedure: