How to network-boot a machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude666666

Broken In
hi everyone! i've heard quite a lot about network booting that one can boot a system without a hard-disk from a server and even store files and literally do any work that a normal pc with a hdd and os can do... and now, i wanna see it for myself! please help me... i have two pcs and i want to network boot the older one... the specs are as follows:

new pc:-
Intel P4 2.4GHz HT, 2x256MB DDR 400, MSI 875P Neo FISR, Segate 80GB 7200rpm, LG 16x48x24x48x DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, Samsung DVD-RW DL, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, Win98, WinXP Pro SP2, SuSE Linux 10.0

old pc:-
Intel P4 1.7GHz, 128MB DDR 266MHz, Intel 845GL, Segate 40GB 7200rpm, LG 52x CD-ROM, Samsung 52x CD-RW, Unknown Ethernet card, WinXP Pro SP2

enjoy

Journeyman
Check out *ltsp.org Quite good howto is given to implement such a system. PM me if u need any help with that.

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
Hi. This is the thread creator once again! By the way i've sent a pm to enjoy for this question but if anyone else is interested... please help. I also want to know how to network-boot a windows box?

manmay

Journeyman
hi...
c network booting is totally diff from running a pc from a server ie using windows and softwares as if it is a complete pc. network booting is for the purpose of booting from a network location as all can guess. that can be for maybe a maintainence purpose or or installing a os. but for running a pc without a hdd , from a server and using ne softwares we need a special network card mostly known as a thinclient .....a google on thinclient may help with this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom