How to make Opera the Default Browser ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold

Broken In
Hello friends,
Generally I make Opera the default browser in my system, but, due to some reason I had to chang and now when I again want to make it a default browser,I find a problem :The "Default Browser" tab or something like that under Preference>Protocol is missing in my Opera.
Please let me know , how to make it again the default browser .

Lastly, is there a provision to back up the current histories and the list of websites visited,and the password for each site that was set etc. etc. [All settings, I mean] and the opera mail/chat accounts and then start from where it ended using that backup ,after reinstalling the OS ? Or, I just can't back up anything other than the Bookmarks if I reinstall my OS ?

My version of Opera is 8.5
Please reply ...
:roll: :roll: :roll:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Go to Tools Menu->Preferences->Advanced Tab->Programs Option. Look for an entry that says "Check if Opera is default browser at startup" and click on the button named "Details" next to it.. You can set it to be default for HTML files, URL shortcuts and more here...

For mails, I think if you back up the Profiles folder of your Opera "Application Data" folder (something like C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Opera\Opera8\profile), you should have the backup you want... mails, history, cookies, etc. are all stored there. I am assuming here that when you installed, you asked to create individual profile for each user... If not, I think these info may be in the Opera installed folder such as C:\Program Files\Opera, but not sure if it will be in a subfolder or in the main folder

Arun

DAVIS

Broken In
if that doesn't work, try this -
open Opera 8.5, it should ask to make Opera the Default Browser of the system, accept it!
your prob. is solved!

answer for second question -
it's not possible according to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if anybody know's how to back up pls reply here i'll be gratefull to him/her!

:p :p :p :p :p

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
well if ur talkin of a repair install then evrythin will stay

and ur first question has already been answered !!!

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check out the following links

*my.opera.com/armagan/blog/show.dml/49712 for files/directories to backup

*www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/OBX.shtml has a free software to backup Wand, Sessions, Preferences, Search, Cookies, Downloads, Toolbar and Bookmarks, Notes, Contacts

*www.opera.com/docs/operafiles/ for info on files created by opera

Arun

OP
A

arnold

Broken In
Thank you sakumar79 ,for your links and thoughts on Opera 8.5 backup, was really very helpful . :D
Thank you everybody else too .
I have made Opera my default browser again , and I found the profile folder as it should have been ..
But,I think the passwords for each site are not saved ...

Anyway, how to merge the two profiles so as to use the history/bookmarks of the past installation along with the present ?
I am just wondering, if that can at all happen ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom