How to make D to C!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kato

Karthiksn
The question i have is a bit complicated see actually i have two partitions on my 40 GB HDD. The primary partition C drive has Windows 98 SE and second partition D drive has Windows XP Professional. Now i want to format the C drive and split it into two partitions for installing linux on it. The problem seems to be that i cant seem to format my primary partition also can i change the drive letters of the two partitions to make my D drive into C drive to make it the primary partition without having problems with any of my applications and also without having any complications with my OS

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1.) u can format and split ur :C partition using Partition magic. It'll shedule the task bcoz it can't do it while windows is running and will perform the task when u'll restart the windows.

2.) u can interchange the drive letters using Partition magic too. But ur windows XP will deny to start coz registry contains the system drive as D:

jay4u

In the zone
do one thing... use partition magic to resize c: and send the freed space to c drive.... then your d drive will be bigger... now use partiton magic to free space from d drive and use ext3 to format this partiton and use it for installing linux.... you can do this without uninstalling any of your current operating system

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
But isnt he asking if we can change the Primary partition from the C: to the D: ? Does jus changing the drive letter do that ?

OP
kato

kato

Karthiksn
vishal and everyone thanks for the help and still looking forward for the answer if i can change the drive letters also can anyone give me link to partition magic

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I hv given the answer dude! :D

2.) u can interchange the drive letters using Partition magic too. But ur windows XP will deny to start coz registry contains the system drive as D:
U can the drive letters using Drive Mapper utility of Partition Magic but it'll cause problems with ur windows XP. So better u forget it!

Download Partition Magic

OP
kato

kato

Karthiksn
thanks for the link but is there no way can we do the drive letter changing without creating problems

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The Main problem in changing the drive letter is due to Windows Registry!

Ur Windows XP is installed on D: drive and when u'll change the drive letters, ur D: drive will become C: and it'll create problems and ur Windows might cause problems and deny to start.

If u want to change the drive letter, then u can change and after changing the drives and if ur windows XP doesnt boot, the u can repair ur windows!

Hope it'll help.....

OP
kato

kato

Karthiksn
no but also there are many software which may also malfunction bcoz of changing the drive letter isnt there a way we can change the drive letter thruogh windows and making it know of the change

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Dude!

There r lots of references in Registry for the system drive!

I don't think that it'll be a good Idea and I'm sure it'll not work properly! :wink:

blacklight

Journeyman
@kato
try out what jay4u has suggested .thats the most viable and safe route and with partition magic .. i can assure u ur data will be safe...only that resizing will take a loooong time .
ultimately all u want is to install linux on ur pc rite ?
so try out this method and let c be c and d be d :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom