how to keep pcs new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
first of all ppl tell me whether hardware gets old, software gets corrupted, or pc just gets bored! cause even after formatting i dont get that original spd. my pc is four yrs old hcl beanstalk and without a single upgrade. except lan card and tv tuner card. and now its spd is terrible. even after formatting after a month it is back to good new spd! how to keep the computer new.

Four years back you used software that did not tax the system as much as what you're using today. Right?

Go back to using 4 yr old software (Win98, ME?) on your 4 yr old PC and you 'll get the same performance that you got 4 yrs ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

- k (4)

goobimama

 Macboy
try replacing the hard drive. My AMD 1800+ with 512 MB RAM was crawling even after a reformat. Then I replaced the Hard Drive and everything is good...

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
Keith Sebastian said:
Four years back you used software that did not tax the system as much as what you're using today. Right?

Go back to using 4 yr old software (Win98, ME?) on your 4 yr old PC and you 'll get the same performance that you got 4 yrs ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

- k (4)
the softwares are the same that were provided with the compu then. win xp( got with compu) games like cricket 2002 and quake 3 both worked fien earlier. and usual office and small games( free ones which r small) and some adobe softwares which were always slow! so no change in softwares? then why do they slow down. and as for changing the harddrive after upgrade any compu can be good. but i am asking why do they slow down in the first place

Ringwraith

Journeyman
Hardware is just pieces of silicon and wires jutted together and just because a PC is old, the performance is not affected in any way. There may be a number of ways why ur computer doesnt feel as fast as earlier:
i) new softwares (say even yahoo messenger 7, which hogs more memory than messenger 5, for example)
ii) fragmented hard-drive
etc..
The easiest way of increasing performance is usually getting more RAM. In case you got an old 5400rpm drive, u might as well well upgrade to a 7200rpm one and notice an improvement.

goobimama

 Macboy
@RingWraith: I have noticed that Hard Drives noticably deteriorate after a few years. They make a lot of noise and no matter what you do, (degrag, checkdisk), there is no solution but to get a new one. I have been informed that the head gets worn out after constant seeking and loses accuracy which is why it has to make two or three passes over the same data...

coolendra

Neil is Here...
its very hard to keep ur system new even after 4-5 years coz after so much wear and tear frm takin so much load it is bound to get old and slow down ....

u can help- it !!!

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
coolendra said:
its very hard to keep ur system new even after 4-5 years coz after so much wear and tear frm takin so much load it is bound to get old and slow down ....

u can help- it !!!

well coolendra that was my ques. whether it gets worn out or software gets damaged. anyway thanx for repeating my queston in assertive manner :wink:

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
Ringwraith said:
Hardware is just pieces of silicon and wires jutted together and just because a PC is old, the performance is not affected in any way. There may be a number of ways why ur computer doesnt feel as fast as earlier:
i) new softwares (say even yahoo messenger 7, which hogs more memory than messenger 5, for example)
ii) fragmented hard-drive
etc..
The easiest way of increasing performance is usually getting more RAM. In case you got an old 5400rpm drive, u might as well well upgrade to a 7200rpm one and notice an improvement.

well iknow that new sofwares hog more mem. winamp is the best example(new one takes every ounce of resource available. old is gold) but i hardly run these prog in backgrnd. then also the compu gets slower with every passing day. :?

abhinavrakesh

Broken In
Here is Your Answer

Clean the CPU and rearrange the wires that may be in the way of processor fan cooling of processor increases the speed remove dust inside computer and fan with vacuum cleaner and your are done

champ_rock

champ_rock
dismantle it.... let the wires and evrything breath ...clean everything with dry cloth.......

dust everyhting...... put everything back again..... the depostiton on the wire tips sometimes makes it run slow........

Tech&ME

Banned
Hey!

If seems to me that you have that microATX cabinet that comes with the BeanStalk, right ?

It is hard to say but to be frank the cabinet itself is a mess. It is so small and airtight that it becomes hot very soon.

I would advice you to change the cabinet and purchase a new ATX cabinet with Air Guide fitted into it.

(Caution: If you don't know how to dismantel and re-assemble the parts , call an engineer to do it for you)

You will also need to change the SMPS, HCL might have provided you with a 160 watts SMPS if I am not wrong.Try to buy atleast 300 watts SMPS from branded company like ANTEC or VIP.

Next if you have that Gigabyte motherboard, then if its working fine you need not replace it, but yes that itself is one of the reasons for the slowdown.

Gunner

Broken In
What is your RAM and it's clockspeed ? What is your motherboard ? Do you have a graphics card ? Have you opened your cabinet - 4 questions for you to answer so I'll be able to understand. ;)

::vicky::

In the zone
Re: Here is Your Answer

abhinavrakesh said:
Clean the CPU and rearrange the wires that may be in the way of processor fan cooling of processor increases the speed remove dust inside computer and fan with vacuum cleaner and your are done
very true always do these things it will keep ur components clean resulting in a good performance

Gunner

Broken In
Re: Here is Your Answer

::vicky:: said:
abhinavrakesh said:
very true always do these things it will keep ur components clean resulting in a good performance

Quite true indeed. Your airflow needs to be good for your pc to be healthy. Do you haveing a cooling system or something installed on your PC ?
Oh, have you ever overclocked your PC ?

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
well the cabinet(donno know the name) is quite airtight with one fan which hardly semms to throw any air. but the thing is there is nothing inside also which can produce lots of heat.
well i havent meddled with my pc anytime. still dont plan to do. when i get a new one then i will meddle with the old one.
will try cleaning though. that too will call some one.

Tech&ME

Banned
shashanktyagi1 said:
well the cabinet(donno know the name) is quite airtight with one fan which hardly semms to throw any air. but the thing is there is nothing inside also which can produce lots of heat.
well i havent meddled with my pc anytime. still dont plan to do. when i get a new one then i will meddle with the old one.
will try cleaning though. that too will call some one.

ya thats the reason for your comp slow down. Call someone knowledgeable to open the cabinet and clean it for you. And if possible purchase a new cabinet (ATX) and ask the guy to transfer all the components to the new one.

(Don't do it yourself!)

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
none of u have told anything about ur compus and their probs. what have u ppl done to make it better. only my prob has been discussed.

plz share ur own experiences guyz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom