How to install ubuntu 7.10 over already installed 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
I have ubuntu 7.04 installed on my system with windows 98 and Xp .

Now I want to install ubuntu 7.10 on its place via LIVE CD plz tell me the procedure

also tell me whether i need to allocate an swap partion as i m already having

a swap partion of 275 Mbs which was created by ubuntu 7.04

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No need to create a new swap. Just make provisions for a / and mount the same old swap in the installation config.

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

^^ bhai i a noob in linux and i have Installed ubuntu 7.04 ( my first ever linux) via alternate Cd :D so i have no idea on how to install via Live cd
so plz tell me :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Just start the installation and go to manual partitioning, use the existing partitions for installing Gutsy. Its deadly easy, easier even than Windows can be. Everyone I know have done it themselves successfully, so just go ahead. :)

Do you wish to install Gutsy along with Feisty or over it?

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

thanks for reply I want to install over it also when I go to manual partitioning then I will have to give / for including swap partion or will it be included automatically ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ok then in the graphical manual paritioning tool which shows up mid-install, choose the existing EXT3 partition as the new / and the existing swap as swap. Check the format box next to the EXT3 / and press Next. All done.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You CANNOT upgrade with a Live CD. You existing installation will hafta be formatted. To upgrade you need to get the alternate CD.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yep, I took your point of install 'over' Feisty as reformat, so look out for infra_red_dude's words if its the other way around. :)

blackleopard92

In the zone
yeah, either use the alternate CD to upgrade or use the upgrade manager to update your distro

*www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom