how to install softwares in ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxkool

Right off the assembly line
I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 and now it works normally but i do not know how to install applications....firstly i have a sify connection and for accessing internet i need the sify client i downloaded the sify client but how do i install it......all i got from my search was synaptic..............and i dont know how to install the linux apps i hav got on digit cd/dvd.......:confused:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
5.10 is way too old. Install 6.06 or 6.10.
I don't know about sify client. Someone else can help there.
And for installing other softwares synaptic is the way. Follow, www.ubuntuguide.org for the purpose after you get your net working. It won't be easy to install the apps given on digit cd, since they're in the source code format, it's not recommended for new users it will be troublesome.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
i'll say get latest Edgy

maxkool said:
I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 and now it works normally but i do not know how to install applications....firstly i have a sify connection and for accessing internet i need the sify client i downloaded the sify client but how do i install it......all i got from my search was synaptic..............and i dont know how to install the linux apps i hav got on digit cd/dvd.......:confused:
there is a howto available:
*www.ubuntu-in.org/wiki/Broadband_Howto#Sify
Sify client may be a source package.You need to extract the package using any programs like file-roller (gui's) and try reading the README file inside.there are many alternative sify clients available for GNU/Linux try google.
one of them is EasySify
*easysify.sourceforge.net/?smod=download
*easysify.sourceforge.net/

for using different packages(softwares) for GNU/Linux,you dont need to download source packages from web,use synaptic and install from ubuntu's or debian repositories which contains binary packages aswell caveat,if you have a good internet connxn.
try moving into ubuntu edgy.you can edit using gedit as sudo from a terminal(CLI) "sudo gedit&" and add the new /etc/apt/sources.list after installing Ubuntu Edgy.

My /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
###gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY
###gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu edgy-commercial main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy 3v1n0

deb *wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy beryl-svn
So cheers and have Debian or Ubuntu

shankar_ganesh

Journeyman
@everybody
how can i make my ubuntu connect to the internet (i use bsnl broadband)
i have SmartAX MT841 modem connected to the USB Port!
can anybody help?

OP
M

maxkool

Re: i'll say get latest Edgy

freebird said:
there is a howto available:
*www.ubuntu-in.org/wiki/Broadband_Howto#Sify
Sify client may be a source package.You need to extract the package using any programs like file-roller (gui's) and try reading the README file inside.there are many alternative sify clients available for GNU/Linux try google.
one of them is EasySify
*easysify.sourceforge.net/?smod=download
*easysify.sourceforge.net/

for using different packages(softwares) for GNU/Linux,you dont need to download source packages from web,use synaptic and install from ubuntu's or debian repositories which contains binary packages aswell caveat,if you have a good internet connxn.
try moving into ubuntu edgy.you can edit using gedit as sudo from a terminal(CLI) "sudo gedit&" and add the new /etc/apt/sources.list after installing Ubuntu Edgy.

My /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
###gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY
###gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu edgy-commercial main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy 3v1n0

deb *wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy beryl-svn
So cheers and have Debian or Ubuntu

hey thanks for that it worked and i had a connection i even updated the repositries but now again i cant login next time. it worked only twice and third time onwards it doesnt work

OP
M

maxkool

the problem is i could log in using the terminal 2 times, 3rd time onwards the site doesnt come up. and there no way whether i get any feedback whether i have connected or not.............and i even tried gettin the gui based client but that was for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom