How to install programs saved as tar.gz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I've just downloaded acidrip as a tar.gz file and saved it on /home/calebr/acidrip-0.14.tar.gz/

Now how do I install it: here is what I'm looking for

1. I'd like a detailed command line(s) to install the above program

2. Also how to use Kuroo to install the same...or any program for that matter...details will be appreciated.

PS.I googled but couldn't understand any solutions.

mediator

Technomancer
1. Unzip the tar file to a folder like "acidrip"
2. Goto that folder, u'll see files
3. Read the "readme" or "install" file (thats it)!

The general commands to install are as follows
1. ./configure (checks if the program can be installed)
2. make (converts the code to executable)
3. make install (as root! It puts the executables to the PATH, so that they can be invoked from any path from the terminal!)

U can still execute the program without doing "make install", but then becoz of absence of path n all, u'll have to execute it from its directory where it was compiled!

freebird

Debian Rocks!
*insecure.org/nmap/install/inst-source.html
^^ just go through that site.
in normal way if u extract the contents of the file using:
Code:
tar   zxvf    /home/calebr/acidrip-0.14.tar.gz
inside there should be some README,INSTALL etc files that explains the method.
normally ./configure && make && make install.
AND never remove the extracted source-as it may contains the "make uninstall" or similar scripts to remove the program if ever yu wants!

If you are using a distro,use its tool to get the software installed from its repository

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@caleb use Kuroo only. Just use the search button on the top and search for acidrip and install it.
There are reasons why using Kuroo will be better. I can't explain it here as it will take up a few things to explain. I am already working on a small wiki, with help of eddie and Satissh S, to explain about Gentoo and Sabayon. I hope that will help you understand about gentoo package management system, which is the same for Sabayon.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
the thing is at a later time it will be a mess if u need to remove the program manually or need to update to a newer version.thats for what pkg management systems like dpkg,portage stands.

mehulved

In short - Gentoo, and so should Sabayon too, maintains a file called 'world' which contains a list of all installed softwares. If you install/uninstall a software using package manager, it gets listed/delisted in the world file.
But, now if you install or remove a file manually this action won't get listed in the world file. So, you will have problems while removing the software or there can occur library conflicts.
This is one major reason why people advise to use package managers.
Other reason is handling dependancies. This can be a real pain.
1) Open kuroo
2) On the search box on top right type the package name to search
3) Select it
4) Click on 'Add to Queue' at the bottom
5) Go to Queue tab. Then click on 'Step 1: Check Installation'. You can check what's going on in Log tab.
6) It will list which all packages to emerge(install)
7) Click on 'Step 2: Start Installation'
There are other advanced options and such but I won't go into that as it's not really needed.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
You talked about Kuroo but are you actually using Gentoo (or some other compatible distro) or not? Since you are trying to install acidrip from source; I have my doubts that you are using Gentoo and if you are not using Gentoo then Kuroo can not help you.

You need to tell us which distro you are using so that people on same distro can help you with specific set of commands.

eddie

El mooooo
Oh...didn't know that. I just thought that how could someone with Gentoo (trying to use kuroo) doesn't know about portage and emerge ;)

mehulved

How could someone use gentoo for over a day without using emerge? Forget about knowing unless the person's not gonna install anything outside the live cd.

mehulved

Sorry to open up an old thread but while on sabayon's irc channel today, people were discussing on an alternative frontend to portage instead of Kuroo. They seem to be recommending portato over kuroo.
Check this *forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-502350.html
Anyways cli is still the best way. But if you still need a GUI way then go for portato rather than kuroo. Reasons are discussed on their forum check the link above.

eddie

El mooooo
^ Which method are you talking about? If you are talking about configure, make, make install then it will work on all distros (depending on the fact that they have toolkit installed).

If you are talking about method involving kuroo or portato then it will work only Gentoo or Sabayon systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom