How to install linux???

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinav_g90

Right off the assembly line
i have windows xp pro sp2 installed on my pc
2 hard drives each of 40 gb are there.....
each hard drive has 3 partitions
one has all 3 partitions as FAT32 and the other has 2 NTFS and 1 FAT32
one partition in the full fat32 one is empty with 6.49 gb so that i can install linux...
the cd of linux i have is a bootable cd with linux 7.0
when i try to boot with it and install, the problem comes at the partition part
it says that i should make a partition or set points or something for the drive i wanna install on
please someone give me instructions to install coz i really wanna try out linux

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The first step to install linux is to make space for the new OS What i recommend is take the disk on which windows ia not installed clear out approx 10GB of disk space i.e. remove your data and detete the partitions next insert your preffered distro media into the CD rom and when it asks for the setup location click it to use the free space on the disk the distro will create its own partitions there and also install the boot loader to give you a dual boot on its own. There days almost all common distro have a highly advanced installer which does all this with little or no help from the user. So thats all taht is required to install linux and enjoy the freedom that comes with it.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Hey Abhinav,
If you really want to try out linux and are a newbie, follow the steps:
>>Get Suse Linux PE from old Digit DVD and burn it to a CD. Choose SuSE coz it is too easy to install and is perfect for newbie and Windows users.
>>If you use WinXP then free up a drive of about 8-10 GB and goto Logical Disk Management management by Start>>Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Computer management>>Logical disk management... and delete the freed partition
>>Now boot with the CD and install Linux as easy as Win 98 installation.
>>Enjoy
>>If you dont like Linux and want to uninstall it, you should folow the following steps. To uninstall is easier.
-Goto Logical Disk Mgmt and Delete the partition you used for Linux.
-Get a Win 98 Bootable CD or Floppy and boot into the computer and choose that you want to boot into 'Without CD ROM Support' (or whatever), and run the command 'fdisk<space>/mbr'
-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom