How to install KDE from CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Please let me know the meathod :p I got Kubuntu and Ubuntu installed I wanna install KDE though only 26 days for KDE 4 but still I loved amarok can't wait for 26 days :p

Regards

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
i think you cannot install KDE from a kubuntu live cd.

But you can download amarok from add\remove softwares if that is the sole criteria for choosing KDE.Exaile is similar to amarok and worth trying too.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You wanna install KDE or KDE4 specifically from a CD?

You can perhaps procure an AptOnCD for Kubuntu-KDE4 packages, or you can try out Hardy Heron Kubuntu Alpha, which I suppose has KDE4?

There's no way you can get KDE4 without downloading, at least none am aware of.

But you say you have Kubuntu and Ubuntu installed. So if its not KDE4 you want, what is it?

Dark Star said:
Please let me know the meathod :p I got Kubuntu and Ubuntu installed I wanna install KDE though only 26 days for KDE 4 but still I loved amarok can't wait for 26 days :p

Regards
Abe useless... Mai toh 20 months wait kar raha hoon comp upgrade ke liye, aur thu KDE4 ke liye 26 days nahi wait kar saktha kya? Agar kise ne KDE 4 ko modify kar ke sab program ko theek tharah se naam diya, thoh mai bhi KDE install karoonga. Abhi Gnome ki Angrazi hi theek lag rahi hai.

And why do you have BOTH kubuntu and Ubuntu? you could have installed Ubuntu, then installed the K Desktop Manager, amaroK, Kaffine, Konsole, Konqueror, etc. You can choose the session from the logon screen as KDE to use Kubuntu. Adept is useless because Synaptic is more stable (in gnome).

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
If you just want to install Amarok all you need to do is sudo apt-get install amarok if you have all the repos selected and updated.

If you want to install KDE for Ubuntu then yuo can refer this.
KDE (*kde.org) is the !desktop environment used natively in !Kubuntu. To install from Ubuntu: « sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop », or see *help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE . Latest KDE version is 3.5.8 for Gutsy and Feisty, 3.5.6 for Edgy, and 3.5.5 for Dapper. See *kubuntu.org for more information.

I elieve the packages you might need to install is
kubuntu desktop, or kdm and kde-core

However Im not absolutely sure about this.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Well I forgot the put CD :p I meant I have Kubuntu CD and Ubuntu Installed :p Btw I am thinking waiting would be nice.. But is there a way of Install KDE from Live CD to Ubuntu :?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No, there's no way. Install it on another partition. Digit's DVD might have kubuntu-desktop, however, if you have got it.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
QwertyManiac said:
No, there's no way. Install it on another partition. Digit's DVD might have kubuntu-desktop, however, if you have got it.

Digit provided CD ver . in DVD :mad: I installed it in new partition and it worked like CD no extra thingy :mad:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Digit provided CD ver . in DVD I installed it in new partition and it worked like CD no extra thingy

Are you serious!!!!! I just gave that DVD to someone who doesnt have a fast internet connection and told him he wouldnt have to download alot fo stuff with this edition :S

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hmmm the DVD version will not allow you to select KDE or at least I dont recall an option to select WindowManagers.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
The DVD that digit provided does have some packages of kde
to install it add the dvd to the repository
and then do
sudo apt-get install kde-core
or kdebase
the packages are around 50 mb.....out of which 18 mb you will have to download from net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom