How to install GNU/Linux on G965 based configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montylee

Journeyman
today i tried to install FC6, Mandriva 2006, Suse Linux 10.1 from the respective DVDs. The system boots from the DVD but after that it is unable to find the installation media.
My configuration is as follows:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
2) Intel DG965RY motherboard.
3) Western Digital 250GB SATA-II harddisk (WD2500KS).

Are there any GNU/Linux which support this configuration? Can i install the same using harddisk images instead of the DVD media? (as install media is not detected).

Thanks in advance?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I dont see any reason for any of the above distros not to support your config. Could you please post the correct message that you're getting ?

OP
montylee

montylee

Journeyman
Check this out:
*www.blindedbytech.com/2006/11/10/how-to-install-fedora-core-6-on-intel-dg965ss-motherboard/

I succeeded in installing Mandriva 2007 by adding "all-generic-ide" kernel parameter on boot. I didn't select legaci mode (AHCI) from the BIOS though.
Now i am facing another problem. From the grub boot menu when i try to boot the Linux it displays an error like this:

"Error mounting ext3" Kernel panic.

I suppose that Mandriva should have enabled ext3 support at the time of installation itself, then why is this error coming?

Last edited:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
are you trying to install a 64 bit os ?

the problem seems that the CD-ROM drive isn't supported properly as the ICH8R controller doesn't support IDE drives. Lemme look for a workaround.

Try to use a smp kernel too.

Also have a look here
*gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_E1405

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom