How to install Fedora Core 4 using ISO images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!
I tried to extract the ISO images of FC4 (from Digit DVD) using ISO Buster, but found that there was no Dosutils directory!
I wanted to install FC4 using ISO images without burning CD, like as we can install Red Hat linux using its Images.

I also tried to boot from Autoboot command of Dosutils directory of Red Hat 9's Image, but no benefit...

Is there ne way to install FC4 using its ISO images without burning the CD?

rajas700

Youngling
Try it

First make a boot disk by extracting boot file(msi) from the cd .And then boot the computer with the disk and then select F2 for options.u will find several commands in that u select a option to install from Hard disk(Before u do this copy all the image file into one harddrive)Then it will search for the file and starts working(Installation).

khandu

In the zone
and it is very case sensitive.. so be clear of the folder name.. Linux and linux is diff..

or just burn the CD1 .. put the rest in a FAT32 drive folder and while installing put linux askmethod.. it will then ask for which method and then choose Hard disk.. and then give the path.. rest is simple..

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
There is no dosutils in FC4, since the boot image cant be fit into a floppy anymore. there is an file named boot.iso in the images directory, which can be burned to a cd and can be used for hard disk install. The diskboot.img file for can be written to a USB pendrive or other bootable media larger than a floppy.

And, posting such threads in Open Source will fetch more replies.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I don't hv writer or pen drive!
Thats why I was trying to install FC4 using HDD.
But as u guys mentioned that I'll need either a pen drive or writer for it.
It can't be installed using floppy.
So sad...

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Please check out this and see if it helps you. I think it should do the trick. I used the earlier method said above which involves writing the first disk and then just use the askmethod parameter. But since you dont have a writer I think this should do fine.

Several Floppy Install

ujjwal

Padawan
Qwerty, you can try using a tool called NtfsDos for accessing the NTFS partition from a DOS bootable floppy. Loadlin will run well from a DOS floppy (which can be a win9x bootdisk). I, however, have not tried this, so I am not sure if it will work.

Vishal, good to hear it worked :)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Can suse and Mandrake be installed from the hardisk.I know mandrake can be done but how same as redhat.

ujjwal

Padawan
Virtually any linux distro can be installed from its ISO image, but some are more difficult than others. Loadlin is a nice tool for this purpose. All you need to do is copy the kernel image and init ramdisk to the hard drive, and use loadlin with the suitable parameters. From within the installation, you will need to select the source of the installation media. If no option for this exists, you will have to get a console (CTRL+ALT+F2), mount your hard drive, mount the ISO image at the position where the CD drive is mounted, and run the installer. Some other esoteric installers may need some extra tweaks ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom