how to install a software without internet.

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by pravinbv, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pravinbv

pravinbv How are you?

i have installed LINUX mint 7 Gloria. from Digit dvd.
    but
    >>how to install new softwares from the digit dvd or from other source. i dont have working internet connection.

>>how to install WINE OR other software to run windows related applications.

>>what is synonyms to .exe files in LINUX.

>>if i have windows and LINUX mint installed and my pen drive is infected with windows related virus will it spread in system while running LINUX.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. Rahim

Rahim Married!

Welcome Pravin :)

You can install apps through Synaptic Package Manager. Linux apps are stored online in repositories, repo in short.
    You have to add the DVD as a repo in Synaptic. Make sure you have the dvd in your drive. Open Synaptic Package Manager and click on Settings >Repositories > Add CD/DVD.
    Now search for the software in Synaptic and mark them and click Apply. Now this will search the DVD and if it finds the apps, will install them.

You can even try AptonCD for offline installation.

Well people use Linux to remove virus from pend drives and windows partitions :D The virus needs a Windows environmet to do its magic :D and hence will be a dead dcuk in Linux. So dont worry. Freedom from malware, spyware and virus.

Nappy Linuxing!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    pravinbv

pravinbv How are you?

few more questions-
    >how to hide folders on ntfs, fat partition in LINUX.
    > can i move home folder to any other location out of /root partition.
    >drivers of some devices given for windows can be used for LINUX.
    >pls help. i want to completely get rid of my windows xp. started windows only 2 times in last 2months only for my sony ericsson mobile explorer software "my phone explorer " a freeware. and usb driver problem. any option.
    thanks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    pravinbv

pravinbv How are you?

why no one is replying.
    is it that much difficult to switch to LINUX.

dear a_rahim thanks. but my LINUX mint doesnt find cd dvd player. shows error.

5. Cool G5

Cool G5 Active Member

1) I haven't anytime tried hiding individual folders but you can always unmount your windows partition so that none of the windows folder can be seen under linux. Just right click on the partition & select unmount volume.

2) Most of your devices should work with the drivers supplied under kernel. Some special hardware like graphic card requires drivers to enable 3D hardware acceleration. In that case just head over the manufacturers site & download drivers specific to your device. You can ask a friend who has internet connection to do this for you.

3) Good to hear that you have started liking Linux. :)
    Deleting windows is simple. Just format the partition on which windows is installed & then insert XP CD, boot into rescue mode & issue "fixmbr" without quotes to repair your master boot record. Reboot PC & from now on only windows will boot.

P.S : The questions are not tough but the forum has gone dry with only a handful of members pitching to offer solutions. :)

6. khattam_

khattam_ Fresh Stock Since 2005

7. sourav123

sourav123 Thinking Different

Also if you have a friend who has an internet connection, you can download the package for offline installation from http://packages.ubuntu.com

8. Rahim

Rahim Married!

Sorry Pravin for the late reply.
    Anyway, NTFS paritions don't have Unix like permissions, so the only solution for you in this case would be un-mount the ntfs partitions while booting. Further, you can set it in such a way so that ONLY YOU or ROOT can mount and access that ntfs partitions.
    So open a Terminal/Konsole and enter
    1: Backup your /etc/fstab file
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
    ENter YOUR password when prompted.
    2. Edit the fstab file
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    look for a line /dev/sda1(ntfs-3g) and edit it like this
    3. Save the file.
    4.Reboot and you will find the ntfs partition is not mounted automatically and when you try to mount, it asks for a password. So give the password and it will mount.

It would be helpful if you go through the various options of fstab file
    FSTAB FIle Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can have a separate /home partitions for your HOME folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.